Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Building new PC

• Please log in to reply

Saigon

Saigon

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
I am planning on building a new computer but I have no idea where to start. I'll be using the computer for programming, gaming and going on the internet and I'm trying to get the pretty good performance for a low enough price.

:tazz: :) :) :)

Edited by Saigon, 28 September 2005 - 11:57 AM.

Advertisements

speedman

speedman

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
Well I would start with the case. You need to know what type of case you need or like.(MAKE SURE YOU CHECK THE SPECS OF EACH ITEM) :) (1) If you what a MicroATX board go for a MicroATX case or a mid-tower case and board. The regular board takes about 4-5 PCIs and have more memory slotsabout 4+, the MicroATX have 3 PCI slots and 2 momory slots. (2)I would buy a 400w power supply. (3)If you want a computer for gaming, internet and programming you should get a Intel Pentium 4 Processor, if you want a good gaming PC get a 3.0E GHZ processor or more, make sure your processor will work with whatever board you buy, if you want to spend mor there are better Intel Processors but make sure the motherboard and the processor will work together. (4) Get about 1GB MB of RAM or more. (5) I would get a 80 or a 120 GB hard drive or more. (6) If you want good graphics get a 128 or a 256 MB Graphics Card. (7)CD drives, a flopy drive, if you have a MicroATX you can get a CD\DVD combo drive and a CD burner, if you have a regular case you can get a CD drive, a DVD drive, CD burner or a litscribe etc. (8)If you want great sound get a sound card. (9)For cooling, you can get 1 case fan, Processor fan, hard drive cooling device and a memory heat spredder or memory fans. (10)For the keyboard and mice you can get enyone you like. (11)The monitor is yours to pic, make it a flat panel. (12)If you want accessories you can get it. When you get the parts post it under the same topic so it can be checked out. Some web sits are www.newegg.com, www.tigerdirect.com and others you know of, all this should cost you $1000 or less or more at newegg without shipping,if you want a cheaper computer go lower with the parts(e.x.. 512MB RAM,80GB hard drive, Intel 2.6 processor, etc) :tazz:

Josiah_Fordahl

Josiah_Fordahl

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
i would go with amd not intel but thats just me... :tazz: an amd athlon xp 3000+ would be a good chip for ya... at tigerdirect.com you can get a nice motherboard and processor combo with from 80 to 120 dollars.... and if you want the amd 64 then its like 220 and up...
:) but its mostly personal preferance..... i am an amd man... :)