Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Compter won't start - windows XP

• Please log in to reply

charlipop

charlipop

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello can anyone help?

I've just bought a MS windows XP computer with an intel pentium 4 processor off a friend who before that had it for 2 years and yesterday i set it up and everthing was fine. However, this morning i turned the computer on and it did the normal loading windows XP screen then the screen went black and the green on button on the screen turned orange for a few seconds like it was on stand by. After a few seconds it went green again and came back on and displayed the login screen with all our user accounts. I moved the mouse to click my account and it selected it and then the mouse froze and i couldn't type my password in the box as the keyboard was also frozen then after about 10 secs like this the screen just went blank but the green power button on it still stays on.

I have tried it several times and sometimes i don't even get to the login screen before the screen goes blank. However if i do manage to click on the communal user account that isn't password protected it still freezes the mouse after the one click but after the 10 seconds when the screen goes blank i hear the loading tune as if the computer has loaded the communal account.

Please can someone help me, i don't understand how it has just suddenly stopped loading after 2 years! :tazz: Thanks very much.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Boot the PC and keep tapping F8 until you get options, select safe mode to see if it loads to the desktop, if so, update the video adapter drivers.

You may need to do this by booting the PC, tapping F8 then selecting safe mode with networking so you can download, check the firewall and AV have kicked in

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Most likely what is occuring is that the power supply is going bad. Take your computer to a local repair shop and have it tested.