Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Interesting Problem! [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

firstwok

firstwok

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I do not have the CD because 1. I might have lost it or 2. Windows XP Profession might have already installed on the computer. I don't really think I know where the CD is... I'm sorry. :) :tazz:

HOLD IT! HOLD IT! I think just found the file for silent runners. Here it is....I think.

"Silent Runners.vbs", revision 40.1, http://www.silentrunners.org/
Operating System: Windows XP
Output limited to non-default values, except where indicated by "{++}"

Startup items buried in registry:
---------------------------------

HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\ {++}
"NetZero_uoltray" = "C:\Program Files\NetZero\exec.exe regrun" ["NetZero"]

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\
{ACC563BC-4266-43f0-B6ED-9D38C4202C7E}\(Default) = "Internet Explorer Access"
\StubPath = "rundll32 iesetup.dll,IEAccessUserInst" [MS]

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Shell Extensions\Approved\
"{0E5CBF21-D15F-11d0-8301-00AA005B4383}" = "&Links"
-> {CLSID}\InProcServer32\(Default) = "C:\WINNT\system32\SHELL32.dll" [MS]
"{7487cd30-f71a-11d0-9ea7-00805f714772}" = "Thumbnail Image"
"{ECD4FC4F-521C-11D0-B792-00A0C90312E1}" = "Menu Desk Bar"
"{E13EF4E4-D2F2-11d0-9816-00C04FD91972}" = "Menu Site"
"{D82BE2B0-5764-11D0-A96E-00C04FD705A2}" = "IShellFolderBand"
"{5b4dae26-b807-11d0-9815-00c04fd91972}" = "Menu Band"
"{8278F931-2A3E-11d2-838F-00C04FD918D0}" = "Tracking Shell Menu"
"{5E44E225-A408-11CF-B581-008029601108}" = "Adaptec DirectCD Shell Extension"
-> {CLSID}\InProcServer32\(Default) = "C:\Program Files\DirectCD\shellex.dll" ["Adaptec"]
"{59850401-6664-101B-B21C-00AA004BA90B}" = "Microsoft Office Binder Unbind"
-> {CLSID}\InProcServer32\(Default) = "C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\Office\1033\UNBIND.DLL" [MS]
"{BB7DF450-F119-11CD-8465-00AA00425D90}" = "Microsoft Access Custom Icon Handler"
-> {CLSID}\InProcServer32\(Default) = "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\soa800.dll" [MS]
"{42071714-76d4-11d1-8b24-00a0c9068ff3}" = "Display Panning CPL Extension"
-> {CLSID}\InProcServer32\(Default) = "deskpan.dll" [file not found]
"{88895560-9AA2-1069-930E-00AA0030EBC8}" = "HyperTerminal Icon Ext"
-> {CLSID}\InProcServer32\(Default) = "C:\WINNT\System32\hticons.dll" ["Hilgraeve, Inc."]
"{42042206-2D85-11D3-8CFF-005004838597}" = "Microsoft Office HTML Icon Handler"
-> {CLSID}\InProcServer32\(Default) = "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\msohev.dll" [MS]
"{7C9D5882-CB4A-4090-96C8-430BFE8B795B}" = "Webroot Spy Sweeper Context Menu Integration"
-> {CLSID}\InProcServer32\(Default) = "C:\PROGRA~1\Webroot\SPYSWE~1\SSCtxMnu.dll" ["Webroot Software, Inc."]
"{640167b4-59b0-47a6-b335-a6b3c0695aea}" = "Portable Media Devices"
-> {CLSID}\InProcServer32\(Default) = "C:\WINNT\System32\Audiodev.dll" [MS]
"{cc86590a-b60a-48e6-996b-41d25ed39a1e}" = "Portable Media Devices Menu"
-> {CLSID}\InProcServer32\(Default) = "C:\WINNT\System32\Audiodev.dll" [MS]

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ShellExecuteHooks\
INFECTION WARNING! "{54D9498B-CF93-414F-8984-8CE7FDE0D391}" = "ewido shell guard"
-> {CLSID}\InProcServer32\(Default) = "C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\shellhook.dll" ["TODO: <Firmenname>"]

HKLM\Software\Classes\Folder\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\
SpySweeper\(Default) = "{7C9D5882-CB4A-4090-96C8-430BFE8B795B}"
-> {CLSID}\InProcServer32\(Default) = "C:\PROGRA~1\Webroot\SPYSWE~1\SSCtxMnu.dll" ["Webroot Software, Inc."]

Default executables:
--------------------

.HTA: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\htafile\shell\open\command\
INFECTION WARNING! "Default" = "C:\WINDOWS\system32\mshta.exe "" "

Group Policies [Description] {enabled Group Policy setting}:
------------------------------------------------------------

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\
HIJACK WARNING! "NoActiveDesktopChanges"=dword:00000001
[prevents changes to Active Desktop; removes Web tab from Display Properties|
Desktop (tab)|Customize Desktop... (button)|Desktop Items (window)]
{User Configuration|Administrative Templates|Desktop|Active Desktop|
Prohibit changes}

HIJACK WARNING! "NoDispBackgroundPage"=dword:00000001
[removes Display Properties, Desktop (tab)]
{User Configuration|Administrative Templates|Control Panel|Display|
Hide Desktop tab}

Active Desktop and Wallpaper:
-----------------------------

Active Desktop is disabled at this entry:
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ShellState

HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop\
"Wallpaper" = "C:\WINNT\Profiles\SYSTEM\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Wallpaper1.bmp"

Enabled Screen Saver:
---------------------

HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop\
"SCRNSAVE.EXE" = "C:\WINNT\System32\ssstars.scr" [MS]

Startup items in "SYSTEM" & "All Users" startup folders:
--------------------------------------------------------

C:\WINNT\Profiles\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
"Microsoft Office" -> shortcut to: "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE -b -l" [MS]

Winsock2 Service Provider DLLs:
-------------------------------

Namespace Service Providers

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winsock2\Parameters\NameSpace_Catalog5\Catalog_Entries\ {++}
000000000001\LibraryPath = "%SystemRoot%\System32\mswsock.dll" [MS]
000000000002\LibraryPath = "%SystemRoot%\System32\winrnr.dll" [MS]
000000000003\LibraryPath = "%SystemRoot%\System32\mswsock.dll" [MS]

Transport Service Providers

Edited by firstwok, 04 October 2005 - 05:24 PM.

Advertisements

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
Do you remember if you removed anything (or have any signs of a infection - any name?) before the problem got worse? This was before you came here for help (with that blue desktop). Just want to make sure since this problem can be caused by some other infection.

See this post again and try running those two .reg files again. If they still give you the error, then give this a try to see if you can run them again after a restart:

Please print out or copy this page to Notepad. Make sure to work through the fixes in the exact order it is mentioned below. If there's anything that you don't understand, ask your question(s) before proceeding with the fixes. You should 'not' have any open browsers when you are following the procedures below.

Download KillBox http://www.greyknigh...spy/KillBox.exe. Run KillBox and check the box that says 'End Explorer Shell While Killing File'. Next click on 'Delete on Reboot'. Copy the below files and go back to KillBox. Go to File->Paste from Clipboard and then hit the button with a red circle and white X. Confirm to delete and when asked if you want to reboot, say Yes:

C:\Program Files\MsConfigs\MsConfigs.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\p2pnetwork.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\CMD.COM
C:\WINDOWS\system32\netstat.com
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ping.com
C:\WINDOWS\system32\regedit.com
C:\WINDOWS\system32\tasklist.com
C:\WINDOWS\system32\taskkill.com
C:\WINDOWS\system32\taskmgr.com
C:\WINDOWS\system32\tracert.com

If you get a PendingOperations message, just close it and restart your computer manually.

Restart and post a new HijackThis log.

firstwok

firstwok

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Just to answer your question. I did have Psguard and maybe VirtualMaid and CWS stuff (not sure about CWS and virtualmaid). Alright I'm trying the 2 .reg files again.

firstwok

firstwok

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I still can't run those files. :tazz: Here you are.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 7:57:01 PM, on 10/4/2005
Platform: Windows XP (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2600.0000)

Running processes:
C:\WINNT\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\services.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\cisvc.exe
C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe
C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\WRSSSDK.exe
C:\WINNT\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINNT\System32\wuauclt.exe
C:\WINNT\Profiles\Ron Wang's\Desktop\HijackThis.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\cleanmgr.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
R3 - Default URLSearchHook is missing
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
O15 - ProtocolDefaults: '@ivt' protocol is in My Computer Zone, should be Intranet Zone
O15 - ProtocolDefaults: 'file' protocol is in My Computer Zone, should be Internet Zone
O15 - ProtocolDefaults: 'ftp' protocol is in My Computer Zone, should be Internet Zone
O15 - ProtocolDefaults: 'http' protocol is in My Computer Zone, should be Internet Zone
O15 - ProtocolDefaults: 'https' protocol is in My Computer Zone, should be Internet Zone
O23 - Service: ewido security suite control - ewido networks - C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe
O23 - Service: Outpost Firewall Service (OutpostFirewall) - Unknown owner - C:\TEMP\outpost.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Webroot Spy Sweeper Engine (svcWRSSSDK) - Webroot Software, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\WRSSSDK.exe

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
Did you install SP1a for Windows XP yet?

How good are you with working in the registry? Just asking since I want you to give it a try by editing the registry manually (if you are comfortable editing the registry).

Wait...we didn't try this yet right? I can't see my post for this, so give this a try:

Right click on this link http://www.greyknigh...lO15Domains.inf and choose Save As. Save it to your desktop. Right click on that file and choose Install. It will run immediately (you won't be able to see anything happen). You may delete it afterwards.

Then check and fix these in HijackThis (if still found):

O15 - ProtocolDefaults: '@ivt' protocol is in My Computer Zone, should be Intranet Zone
O15 - ProtocolDefaults: 'file' protocol is in My Computer Zone, should be Internet Zone
O15 - ProtocolDefaults: 'ftp' protocol is in My Computer Zone, should be Internet Zone
O15 - ProtocolDefaults: 'http' protocol is in My Computer Zone, should be Internet Zone
O15 - ProtocolDefaults: 'https' protocol is in My Computer Zone, should be Internet Zone

Restart and post a new HijackThis log.

firstwok

firstwok

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Answers to your questions: I don't think all of SP1a was installed. It says I do not have enough space. I'd like to delete/uninstall some things but I need some of the files/programs and I don't have the CDs to reinstall some of the programs. I'll try to install SP1a. I don't really know how to work in the registry.

Edited part: When I say not all of SP1a was installed I mean that it was not completely installed because it says I don't have enough space and I didn't try to free up space yet. "I'd like to delete/uninstall some things but I need some of the files/programs and I don't have the CDs to reinstall some of the programs".

Edited by firstwok, 05 October 2005 - 05:10 PM.

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
I will ask for assistance on this one as I'm stuck on it now :tazz:

As soon as I get a response, I will get back to you here.

firstwok

firstwok

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Scan saved at 4:51:09 PM, on 10/5/2005

Running processes:

O23 - Service: ewido security suite control - ewido networks - C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe
O23 - Service: Outpost Firewall Service (OutpostFirewall) - Unknown owner - C:\TEMP\outpost.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Webroot Spy Sweeper Engine (svcWRSSSDK) - Webroot Software, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\WRSSSDK.exe

Edited by firstwok, 05 October 2005 - 05:14 PM.

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
Do you have any of these problems in another user account (if there is more than one account here)? Could you run those .reg files I asked you to get without any problems?

firstwok

firstwok

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Well, the problems are similar in another account. When I go to properties then desktop it is set to blank, but I can change the desktop. I'm also able to open the recycle bin. In both accounts when I go to properties then themes they are both set to modified themes. Yes, I'm able to run those .reg files without problems in the other account. Do you want me to put a hijack this log from that account or something?

Edited by firstwok, 06 October 2005 - 09:34 PM.

Advertisements

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
Wait, so is there any problems now? I mean, you can change your wallpaper now right?

firstwok

firstwok

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
No, there is still a problem. I can change the desktop but everytime I log in the desktop is blue on one account. On another account I can't even change the desktop.

Edited by firstwok, 07 October 2005 - 04:42 PM.

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
OK, can you change the other ones that have a blue desktop? If so, then they are ok. For the one that you can't change, log into that account and give me the HijackThis log.

firstwok

firstwok

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Here you are then. Do you also want me to give you the other account's hijack this log because that other account's desktop is always blue when I log in

Scan saved at 6:08:28 PM, on 10/7/2005

Running processes:
C:\WINNT\System32\cidaemon.exe
C:\Program Files\NetZero\exec.exe
C:\Program Files\NetZero\exec.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe

O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{6AC3F699-8E55-4587-B756-B02EB27FE331}: NameServer = 64.136.28.120 64.136.20.120

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
For that other account with the blue background, you can't change that either? How about if you run the smitfraud.reg file? Do the same thing on this account and see if you can change the account.

Please print out or copy this page to Notepad. Make sure to work through the fixes in the exact order it is mentioned below. If there's anything that you don't understand, ask your question(s) before proceeding with the fixes. You should 'not' have any open browsers when you are following the procedures below.

Go to My Computer->Tools (or View)->Folder Options->View tab:
* Under the Hidden files and folders heading, select Show hidden files and folders (it's Show all files for Windows 98).
* Uncheck the Hide protected operating system files (recommended) option.
* Click Yes to confirm and then click OK.

For the options that you checked/enabled earlier, you may uncheck them after your log is clean. If we ask you to fix a program that you use or want to keep, please post back saying that (we don't know every program that exists, so we may tell you to delete a program that we think is bad to keep).

Run the .reg file I posted here again. Create that file yourself...

Go to Start->Run and type in notepad and hit OK. Then copy and paste the following into Notepad:

sc stop OutpostFirewall
sc delete OutpostFirewall
del delete.bat

Save the file as "delete.bat". Make sure to save it with the quotes. Double click on it.

Make sure to close any open browsers. Run a scan in HijackThis. Check each of the following and hit 'Fix checked' (after checking them) if they still exist (make sure not to miss any):

Restart and run a new HijackThis scan. Save the log file and post it here.