Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IE 7 Beta 1 Security Level problem

• Please log in to reply

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
Hi there,
I recently installed Internet Explorer 7 Beta 1 (7.0.5112.0). But even before I did I think I came across this problem before - on each startup of the Internet Explorer, the security level (Toos - Internet Options - Security <tab>) is deactivated totally for the Internet, Local intranet, Trusted sites, and the Restricted sites. The whole lot. Even though I'm running Ad-Watch and NOD32 all the time on the computer, doesn't the inactive security level post a threat?
I do scan my computer with Ad-Aware, Ewido, and NOD32, nothing was found. Still I'm wondering - could this be a worm or something that's turning off my security level in IE?
Please help.
Cheers
John

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Why do you think it's turned off? Your screen shot just shows you're using custom settings. :tazz:

A bug would be better reported to Microsoft's beta bug tracking.

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
Ok... I hope I'm not being a pain here - I think it happened before even when I was using IE6 SP2. Besides, I didn't set any "Custom Settings". Would the running of Ad-watch give me a Custom Setting? I don't know, I actually prefer Opera way more than IE but IE's integrated into XP so I can't get rid of it.

Anyone knows how to totally remove IE without breaking the shell? Cheers.
Would a worm or malicious thingy give me a "Default Setting"?

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
You cannot remove or uninstall IE without breaking XP, so don't try. You can ignore IE, and use another browser, but you will need it for MS Updates anyway.

"Custom Setting" will display in IE's security tab whenever a setting is changed, and many anti spyware tools will do that. Don't worry about it.

Are you running a third party firewall or just the XP one? A good firewall and sensible surfing is your best internet protection.

Johanna

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
Yeah I was going to keep Opera on my computer but I'm really short of space on the computer (going to do a upgrade soon) so I'd like to keep everything efficient.

Johanna, thanks for getting back to me so fast. I'm not using any other third party firewall, just the one came with SP2. And I run Ad-Watch and NOD32 at all times so are you saying they could've given me a "Custom Setting" in the IE security tab? Cheers

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
You really should be using a third party firewall. The MS one isn't very configurable (is that even a word?) and it's rather weak. There are free ones available- look in the malware forum for suggestions.

And, yes, some software will change certain default IE settings, resulting in the "custom" status. If you are uncertain how to set the permissions this page explains:
http://www.helpwithw...-surf-safe.html

Johanna