Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Repairing XP

• Please log in to reply

piggyprobe

piggyprobe

• PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
that didn't work. I've got Microsoft updates that won't install. I'm at my wits end with this.

Would reinstalling windows be an option?

Advertisements

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
That would be an option, but a bit over the top. Can I have more Info about it?
Have you tryed Tweak #6
And have you read This

Excal

Excal

Malware Slayer Extraordinaire!

• Retired Staff
  • 12,739 posts
Michael Buckley,

This is the rest of the thread

http://www.geekstogo...73

:tazz:

Excal

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Okay, let me see if I get the gist of this:
You can successfully connect to the internet.
When you are connected, some sites will not open for you in either IE or Firefox.

The two sites you are having problems with are your ISP (verizon) and MS.

For MS:
Go into the Admin Tools> Services and make sure BITS, Error Reporting and Auto Updates Service is on "Automatic" or "enabled". Disable any ad blocking or pop up stopper software you have. Make sure you are allowing active X controls.

For Verizon:
Does the website request a password? Have you asked Verizon to "reset" it? Is your computer set to log you on automatically? Dump all temp folders and clear IE, exit and restart. Temporarily disable your firewall and the XP firewall if it is running and try again.

Do you have a valid XP cd?
Start > Run > cmd then type
sfc /scannow
(note the space)
sfc - system file checker, retrieves the correct version of the file from %Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache or the Windows installation source files, and then replaces the incorrect file. If you want to see what was replaced, right click My Computer > manage, expand event viewer > system.

Johanna

piggyprobe

piggyprobe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
I have no problems with any MS sites, just the sites related to my ISP (Verizon.net), and I cannot retrieve my verizon.net email through either outlook or web mail. I have no major problems otherwise connecting to the internet.

My System32 file is no where to be found. At startup, a Fax program is trying to install. I keep getting Windows updates for Outlook that are unsuccessful in their attempts to install, and even though McAffe is running, at start up I am warned that no anti-virus software is running on my system (when I open the Security Center, it indicates that McAffe is running).

My first guess was Malware, so I went to that forum and ran the following:

McAfee Virus Scanner
Ad-aware SE
Spybot S&D
Ewido
Trend Housecall
TrojanHunter
RegSupreme Pro

Excal has done a great job in trying to help me, but we were unable to solve these issues. I will be out of town for the weekend and away from my computer until Sunday evening (10/2). I will not have the opportunity to do any work on my machine, so please don't think that my lack of a response to anything you post means I've been able to solve the problems.

piggyprobe

piggyprobe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
Ran sfc /scannow & chkdsk /r /x...no change on my system (still can't get my email from outlook or web mail & no access to Verizon DSL web pages)

I have a few jpgs on my desktop, and instead of a preview of the image, there are icons for the Command Prompt, a scanner, and Registry Fix software.

Just as a test, I set up my work email address in outlook & was able to send and recieve with no problems, which leads me to believe that there is something on my system blocking access to Verizon related servers.

Edited by piggyprobe, 03 October 2005 - 06:57 PM.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Do you have cookies enabled?

Johanna

piggyprobe

piggyprobe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
yes.

I cannot Ping their servers, but have no problem pinging any other.

Edited by piggyprobe, 06 October 2005 - 03:33 PM.