Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP has gone bonkers as have I

• Please log in to reply

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If they ask you to run a programme, and you are unable to, explain this to them in the malware topic

Try to get the XP CD when you can

Hope it goes well

Advertisements

MAG

MAG

• Pip
  • 9 posts
i had the same problem yesterday too
but i could fix it
the re-install of the win-xp would not help
the same problem still there

i could fix it through running a program called anti-viruses&trojan
from http://www.anti-viruses.net/

when trying to run it
simply right click >>>> run as >>> current user and un-chick the protect my computer,,,pla pla pla
the exe will run and will detect 2 files i do not remember their names and will eliminate one of them at least

then the xp worked fine and all progarams worked again

so
what was it ... i do not know
how i was infected ,,,still do not know

loligino

loligino

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
thanks MAG

I tried this- but like all the rest of the programs recommended on the Malware forum, the Anti-Virus&Trojan program "downloads"* but then when I double click it I get that same cursed error window that says "Windows cannot run this file". I did not see any option "run as... current user"

I only get two options to check:
"Use the Web service to find the appropriate program" and
"Select the program from a list"

checking the first one does nothing and checking the second one- and choosing IE as "recommened" gets me in circles, asking again if I want to download it

*note, all these newly downloaded programs have that weird icon and they download instantly- almost as if they are not really downloading? although when I right click it and look in Properties, it is the size c/net says it should be.

also, I have still not gotten any response in the Malware forum, although I have seen others that posted a new topic only this afternoon get a response- am I doing something wrong?

it will be 3 days since I first asked for help tomorrow morning.

I really need to get this computer going to finish making a pdf of my thesis as part of my degree requirement and to start job hunting-

any advice?

Thank you, Lyn

MAG

MAG

• Pip
  • 9 posts

i had the same problem yesterday too
but i could fix it
the re-install of the win-xp would not help
the same problem still there

i could fix it through running a program called anti-viruses&trojan
from http://www.anti-viruses.net/

when trying to run it
simply right click >>>> run as >>> current user and un-chick the protect my computer,,,pla pla pla
the exe will run and will detect 2 files i do not remember their names and will eliminate one of them at least

then the xp worked fine and all progarams worked again

so
what was it ... i do not know
how i was infected ,,,still do not know

View Post

i said after downloading the program
right click on the program icon and select (run as) then a pop-up menu will appear
select the (current user) and un-chick the (protect my computer.....pla pla pla)

the program (anti-viruses&trojan) will run[B]

that is what i did ...and it worked for me

never give up the HOPE

good luck

Edited by MAG, 02 October 2005 - 01:16 AM.

loligino

loligino

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hi MAG-

thanks for your reply. You're the only one talking to me- I feel like I have the cooties instead of my computer.

I did listen to you, although my reply wasn't clear- I did RIGHT click the program icon (again, this icon is not "normal"- see my first post) I just get the menu :
Open
Cut
Copy
Create shortcut
Delete
Rename
Properties

I do not get "run as" as an option.

So I tried both clicking open and double-clicking the icon (same thing, I know) and either way just got the "Windows cannot open this file" error message.

Am I doing something really dumb?

I'm glad you at least got your rig running.

And yes, I will never give up hope in this or other things. I do breast cancer research- trying to find novel therapeutics. Hope is the greatest drug of all.

Thanks MAG,

Lyn

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can move your malware topic to 3 day no reply

http://www.geekstogo...ply-t21869.html

I haven't added anything as malware would usually circumvent any attempts to change the configuration etc

MAG

MAG

• Pip
  • 9 posts
as i c you downloaded a wrong file extention

any .exe on win xp has a right menu of open,run as

the open will not work,,,while run as will

i advice u to download the program (anti-virus&trojan) fron another computer then transfer it to your PC...then right click....run as....and so on

continue trying
never give up hope

OwNt

OwNt

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 7,457 posts
Hello, loligino.

Have you tried renaming hijackthis and then running it? Some spyware programs will close it if they spot the name.

loligino

loligino

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hi Keith-

Thanks- I will go try the 3-day thing- I think I goofed by adding more info as a second post in the Malware forum and so it no longer says "0 replies" and thus the zeros will be looked at before me?

(ps I meant the Malware forum is ignoring me, not you good XP folks...)

Hi again MAG- do you mean I downloaded it incorrectly or that the bug latched onto my poor PC caused it to download incorrectly? It does SAY HijackThis.exe while it sits parked- untouchable- in its HJT folder on the c:

Welcome OwNt- sounds like a great idea to me- so I renamed it HelpMe- unfortunately, still no luck. any other ideas?

what do I have? is it a trojan or a virus? is it pokapoka? (don't see the latter listed as a running process)

Lyn

MAG

MAG

• Pip
  • 9 posts
again hi

download the anti-virus&trojan.exe using another PC
then transfer it to the infected PC
and right-click
then run as.....pla pla pla

that is i expect to be trojan

as Panda did not get it

any way
try again

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
I added the malware topic to 3 day no reply

loligino

loligino

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hi MAG- I live in kind of the boonies but will hook up the wagon and try to find a neighbor with a PC and internet and try what you suggest. It looks like it will fit on a floppy-? I don't want to use my external harddrive, as all my data is backed up there and I'm worried about this bug crawling into it and really bumming me out- is that possible or is it ok to use the external hd?

Lyn

loligino

loligino

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Thanks so much Keith- that was really nice of you. I was just going to do that, but now I can go eat a late breakfast instead.

Cheers, Lyn

MAG

MAG

• Pip
  • 9 posts
1.32MB is its size

i think a floppy will work

and also i think a CD will be nice too ( as u know floppies may not work )

if u have alternative ( 2nd ) operating system
it will work too
i have on my pc
linux,win98 and winxp
all on the same hard and different partitions
xp was the only infected and stop functioning while win98 was infected but working ..absolutly linux(fedora core3) is not infected

the infection is mainly into system files as regedit and rundll32 they r infected so no .exe can run
while the .exe it-self is not infected ,,,,,that is a good thing i think,,,lol
so u can use your external HD but remember to scan all your PC after cure with suitable trojan hunter (as AD-aware SE)

Edited by MAG, 02 October 2005 - 12:37 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi loligino...

Have you tried running HiJackThis from Safe Mode? Having that log available would sure help both us XP folks and the experts in Malware.

wannabe1