Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP has gone bonkers as have I

• Please log in to reply

loligino

loligino

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hi wannabe1-

yeah, it's becoming very clear how important it is for me to somehow get HijackThis to run.

This is what I tried-
from the start button the "programs" menu will not open, so I can't get to "accessories" and system restore from there.

so I followed the MS help "How to start the System Restore tool at a command prompt in Windows XP" link and followed those instructions which entails booting in the safe mode with command prompt. when I did this, after entering the command they list, I get:

"System Restore is not able to protect your computer. Please restart your computer, and then run system restore again."

did this 2 more times- no luck.

Then, booted again with F8 and instead of entering the "Safe Mode with a command prompt option" I chose the "start from the last configuration that worked" (or something like that) which was an option below the former. Got the same desktop with 1/2 my icons "strange" and same error message when trying to open HijackThis.

I will now try just booting into Safe Mode alone and see if I can open HijackThis. Also changed the name of HijackThis and that didn't help either.

At some point trying to do something in XP I got Windows cannot open "rundll32.exe"- is this program needed to open anything by any chance?

is my PC a goner?

Thanks for your suggestion,

Lyn

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts

is my PC a goner?

I wouldn't give up on this just yet. As long as it's running, we can work with it. Having the installation cd would be helpful, though.

Do you remember what commands you entered following the Microsoft Guide? There's a couple more things we can try, but you may have already done them...

wannabe1

MAG

MAG

• Pip
  • 9 posts
hi all
it seams that no one listen to me
please
listen

i had been infected 3 days ago
my PC stop opening any .exe program saying it is "not valid win32 application"
i had dual boot
win98 worked,,,while winxp all exe(s) not work

i tried to run anti-virus program called(anti-virus&rtojan) from this url
http://www.anti-viruses.net/
(i had the file at my PC)
so i ran it by double click but no luck did not work (the not valid...message)
by chance i right clicked the exe and selected the (run as) command and un-chicked the (protect my computer,,,,) and hit ok the exe worked
and catched 2 files (dll) as i remeber...any way the windows xp worked fine since that
and no problem

so

simply use that url to get the anti virus and then run it as i said

that would solve your problem

this is my 5th post with the same instructions and u did not follow

so i can give you any more help

good luck

:) :) :) :)

some of my friends had the same infection and gave his PC to me to fix
i did it...lol but loged the file names...lol
the virus is called (W32.Sandalu) it affects
loca32.exe and msnxv32.exe (win98)
msnxv32.exe (winxp)

i could fix the exe run...
even when the PC is infected (before i fix it...for testing purpose only)
any exe can run simply right click,,run as,,un-chick (protect my computer...)
the exe will work with no problem at all

i fixed the PC as i said before..using the same instructions and it is now helthy ..lol

good luck all
:) :tazz: :)

Edited by MAG, 03 October 2005 - 03:39 AM.