Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Worn out laptop?

• Please log in to reply

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
My teacher has a laptop that he uses like a desktop, leaving it on about 8 hours a day. It is 2 or 3 years old. Would it be unusual for it to be wearing out or breaking because of all this usage?

The hard drive's current temperature is 61 degrees celcius. He says it is a bit louder than normal. And the touch pad just went out. I used Everest Home Edition to see if his fan went out, but I didn't see it. I put my ear to it, and I don't hear a low hum. :tazz:

I am currently running Trend Micro incase a virus caused the touch pad went out, but I think it is severly overheating and is worn out. What do y'all think and suggest?

Advertisements

katkat92

katkat92

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
I've run laptops 8 hours a day (or more) and never had a problem due to over use. Sometimes things just wear out with time though. It might be a good investment to replace the fan and clean out the case to help with airflow. If you have never worked on a laptop, I would recommend taking it to a shop to open it up. :tazz:

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
He checked the fan and it is fine. My teacher said he's just gonna buy a new one, since this one is old and has been upgraded to its max. Thanks for your advice.