Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Acronis Problem

• Please log in to reply

wildchild22

wildchild22

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hey all
i have a friends pc, it only has a 3gb hard drive, which is obviously pretty small..... but he doesn't want to lose everything he has, he's bought a 40gb drive for me to fit, and i was going to use Acronis True Image 9 to clone the old drive onto the new one, and all should've been fine..... in theory!

but now the 40gb is a D:
the 3gb is C:

and i cannot load windows from the D drive (40gb) it gets to where the windows login would be... and then it just shows an xp logo in the style of the login screen.... but no usernames to click or anything.... it works fine with the 3gb drive in aswell, but that may be because its booting from the 3gb.... how do i find out which it is booting from?

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance
-Wildchild

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
I suggest you unplug the 3gb hard drive, leaving the 40gb as the MASTER and then boot the computer and see what happens.

Post back the details.

Fenor

wildchild22

wildchild22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
i've done that and it just gets to a wierd screen that i haven't seen before, i'll post a pic after work. if i use both drives it works, if i run the 3gb as a slave and 40gb as master.... it works (But 3gb = C: and 40 gb = D:) but if i run the 40gb on its own, windows doesn't work :tazz:

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
How about installing Windows on the 40 gig, and then copying the files over from the 3 gig drive? Your friend may have to tweak some settings, that's all.

Johanna

wildchild22

wildchild22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
theres applications he needs too

wildchild22

wildchild22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
i fixed it :tazz:

i changed the drive letters in regedit, because the large drive was D for some reason, even though it was set as master with the hardware.

anyways thanks for trying to help! its much appreciated

-WildChild