Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

explorer error and computer freezes

• Please log in to reply

silhouette74

silhouette74

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I have windows 98 SE and it seems whenever it feels like it my comp stops working and when i hit ctrl/alt/delete it says explorer stopped responding. I can't shut down my computer the normal way after this so i have to hit the ctrl/alt/delete again since it freezes up the whole computer.

I've done 3 different scans for spyware that this site suggested and the virus scans showed no viruses.

I've updated explorer through the microsoft site as well.

:tazz:

Any answers would be appreciated!

Advertisements

Alopeke

Alopeke

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
I found some steps to try on Google.

Reboot the computer into Safe Mode by pressing F8 at "Starting Windows"
Go to START > PROGRAMS > ACCESSORIES > SYSTEM TOOLS > SYSTEM INFORMATION
Click on TOOLS and click on Internet Explorer Repair Tool
Click on Repair Internet Explorer
After its done it will reboot.

Give it a shot and let us know.

silhouette74

silhouette74

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thanks i've tried that already (forgot about it til you mentioned it) & it didnt' solve the problem either.

Alopeke

Alopeke

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
Have you also tried the restore method instead of repair? Also when you try the restore method others have suggested to check next to Outlook as well. This should restore Internet Explorer to a previous version.

Hope this helps.

nerdmeier

nerdmeier

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I'm having the same problem! And for the folks that have tried to help you - it's not "Internet Explorer" that's the problem - it's "Explorer.exe" that gets loaded with Windows and shows up in the Task Manager. I have the added symptoms of my hard drive light staying on and, on rare occasion, my second cd burner opens and sometimes closes without any action on my part. I've checked my computer countless times for malware using many programs and it always comes up clean. Hope this additional info can help somebody help you - 'cuz I need the help too.

Edited by nerdmeier, 01 October 2005 - 10:46 PM.