Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP problem.

• Please log in to reply

KazarSanaga

KazarSanaga

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
This thread is no longer important. We had no choice but to use the Recovery Console and set it back to it's original settings. Thank you for all your help.

We cannot access Windows XP at all on any mode!!! :)

This is the problem with my friends computer and I've tried almost everything in my power to fix it and gotten nowhere.

Common Problems happening:
1. When the computer loads, it makes it to the Windows XP loading screen and then it restarts. Usually or always getting a BSOD with Unmountable Boot Volume Error, aside from that no other BSOD errors pop up.
2. When a boot disk finally reaches the Setup screen, after pressing R or the other options, the next set of options will freeze when selected.
3. From what my friend tells me the computer makes a lot of loading nosies (Like it's under heavy load). I'm not sure that's exactly a problem, but *shrugs* it could help somehow.

Here's the error message for the Unmountable Boot Volume:
STOP-0x000000ED (0x842E0988,0xC0000006,0x00000000,0x00000000)

We've tried:
1. A Windows XP boot disk attained from Techtips4u.com because the computer didn't come with the Windows XP Home Edition Disk.
2. Unhooking the hard drive and hooking it back up again.
3. Windows XP Recovery Console. All the options freeze the PC.
4. Safe mode does not start, freezes, and the computer reboots.
5. Also tried calling technical people, they didn't help much and wanted to charge too much to get it fixed, if they could fix it. :)

All our attempts so far seem futile. :tazz:

My father suggested that it's a Worm/Virus/Spyware/or Adware etc. It's most likely has to be since after my friend downloaded a GIF animation program and the computer suddenly restarted. He traced his steps from a public computer and found nothing on the internet about that program being a virus host. Here is the link to the website: http://www.mdgx.com/html.hml lead to this one:
http://mharing.tripo...m/gifclean.html and the zip gc26inst.zip which originally was a .exe according to the author but changed because tripod dosen't allows .exe files. Unless you are very protected, don't download that file or your computer might end up like the one we're trying to fix.

Could someone PLEASE! help us? I'm hoping that there's a free Bootable DOS Based Virus Scanner that I can put on a disk and bring with me when I go over there on Sunday(October 2nd, early morning). If we can't fix his PC we will be forced to use the Destructive Recovery feature and lose all his imortant files need for his business. (His computer dosen't have the Non-Destructive one)

Edited by KazarSanaga, 03 October 2005 - 02:11 PM.

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
You say the computer freezes when you try to load.what happens when you load the boot disc?

KazarSanaga

KazarSanaga

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Okay after the 6th disk is in and the Welcome to Setup finally appears we have tried to go through the Unmountable Boot Volume fix found on Microsofts support website and also Techtips4u.com and the computer ends up freezing no matter what option we choose. :tazz:

Edited by KazarSanaga, 30 September 2005 - 01:35 AM.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
If you think it is a virus (doubt it) go to the E trust link in my signature and download that. You use to be able to make a floppy scanner from that product. Sorry you will have to try it by yourself I can't access mine to look for the steps, my power supply blew up last night so I do not have access, since I am using a mac I can't download the product it is only for Microsoft. If you cant work it out you will have to wait till I can get back on my pc so I can look at the steps.

KazarSanaga

KazarSanaga

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
I guess I could try it out. *downloads*

KazarSanaga

KazarSanaga

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
I've downloaded it but I can't seem to find the option to make a Bootable Floppy disk for my friends computer.

KazarSanaga

KazarSanaga

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Could the problem be fixed by hooking his hard drive into my comptuer as a sub drive and then scanning it with my anti-virus programs etc?

Edited by KazarSanaga, 30 September 2005 - 08:52 PM.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
By all means if it is a virus and you are willing to do that.
Ok you take the bad hard drive out. There should be a sticker on it showing that to make it a slave drive you change a jumper setting, do this.
Take your hard drive out and check the jumper settings you may have to change from master to master with slave do this then see if it picks the 2nd hard drive up.
If not we will have to go into cmos and change some settings. Do you know how to use cmos? If not then I will give you the steps. If you can not see any infomation on jumper settings then you will have to give me the drive name and model number.

KazarSanaga

KazarSanaga

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
I know how to hook up a slave drive, but if I run into anything unfamilar I'll let you know.

Could you give me the steps to get into CMOS now? I want to be prepared to take that alternative if need be.

Edit: Nevermind I missunderstood the first time I read your post. Lastnight I used wires from my older computer and put them in my current one, so now I have the capablity to have a slave drive. I've tested it and it was succesful, hopefully I can hook up his hard drive and finally end this.

What about that EZ Antivirus disk? I got the Free for 1 year download.

Edited by KazarSanaga, 01 October 2005 - 06:10 PM.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts

What about that EZ Antivirus disk? I got the Free for 1 year download.

Sorry can't help with this yet I am still on a Mac and can't use that to work it out.
Hope to be able to get my computer going by tuesday.

Edited by peterm, 02 October 2005 - 02:17 AM.

Advertisements

KazarSanaga

KazarSanaga

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Well I'm going over to his house today and hopefully solve this problem.

KazarSanaga

KazarSanaga

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Well, I'm over at my friends house right now. I didn't come fully prepared, his Hard drive requires the smaller cable and I didn't bring my 2nd computer with me. Chances are that I'll end up taking his CPU back with me

KazarSanaga

KazarSanaga

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
It's 6:05am where I live and we've been trying to fix this computer in almost anyway possible without resorting to the Destructive Recovery. When I tried to hook up the "hard drive" up to my computer it turned out to be the Recovery drive and we can't understand what's going on since it's the only thing in there that looks like a drive. I've never had to repair a XP system before so this is new for me.

Our recent attempt was of me making a AVG Free Emergency Disk and trying it on his computer, we got to the last disk and then it asked for the command.com, we have no idea where it is on an XP system.

It's been a fustraiting process and all our attemps still seem to be in vain. If anyone knows anything about this type of problem and how to fix it, please, say something. We need a solution and time dosen't seem to be on our side.

Edited by KazarSanaga, 03 October 2005 - 05:12 AM.

KazarSanaga

KazarSanaga

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Dispite all our efforts, we are forced to use Destructive Recovery. Thanks for your Help. :tazz: :)

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
when you hook it up to your computer it shows as drive D.
When you go to drive d can you see a windows folder ?
can you see any folders? if yes copy the imporant info to your drive
have you tried to boot that drive with your computer?

Edited by peterm, 03 October 2005 - 11:56 AM.