Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How do I restrict/cut off internet access?

• Please log in to reply

Black Blade

Black Blade

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
I have 5 computers on a home network running XP Home, have 4 port router and also a six port switch. The router is SMC 7001 Barricade. I want to be able to cut off internet access to my kid's rooms when they do not do chores around home. I have in past attempted this through the setup panel of the router, with limited success. Apparently MSN Messenger is almost impossible to disconnect, since it will auto search for an available open port, so just closing port 80 don't do any good. Is there a way/method other than physically disconnecting the cables (they are neatly stapled and don't want to mess that all up for temporary penalty) that I can completely shut down internet access to specific computers? Was thinking of looking for a physical switch at Radio Shack or something that would allow me to connect a switch that I could then just flip a switch and it would disconnect a certain line...but may have to build that project from scratch...

Any ideas appreciated,
Blade

Advertisements

kd1966

kd1966

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Other than just unplugging from the router, you could use the Parental Restrictions options found on most routers to either disable or restrict services and ports

Black Blade

Black Blade

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
That method, as I mentioned in my original post, don't work, since messenger will automatically search for another open port. If there is no method via software, I will look into constructing a simple switch box...who knows maybe I can patent it...lol

Rockett

Rockett

• PipPip
  • 78 posts
Ya, I'm thinkin' pull the plug here. hard to find a port if it's not connected. Think of all the bandwidth you'll save :tazz:

kd1966

kd1966

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
or get ZoneAlarm firewall and deny that program................ of course, your kid will probably figger out how to shut the firewall down...........

Black Blade

Black Blade

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Since I have all the cables neatly ran...will have to built that switch box, hopefully Radio Shack has the parts

NullWolf

NullWolf

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
Depends on how they obtain their IP address.
If they're static, you can just disable their IP.
If they're dynamic, get their MAC address and set the router to not give an IP to it.

kd1966

kd1966

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Yeah, there are easier ways to do this than to build a box from scratch....... but I'd personally like to hear how he does it, as it sounds kinda cool

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
See if this helps

http://www.microsoft...s/overview.mspx

Q. What kind of restrictions can I impose with the toolkit?
A. You can restrict access to programs, utilities, and elements of the Start menu and taskbar in Windows XP. You can also restrict what users can do with other programs such as Windows Explorer, Internet Explorer, and Microsoft Office.

Q. Can I use the toolkit to control which programs are allowed to run?
A. Yes. You can restrict the Start menu and apply Software Restrictions to limit the programs which are allowed to run.

kd1966

kd1966

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
I don't think he's talking about a "shared system", as it is a separate system his kid has. ALTHOUGH.................. he COULD use/install this on his kids system and restrict that way......... my bad..........

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
The reason for suggesting this was so that it could be installed to a PC and the administrator can then control which account can do what on it

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
I don't know what kind of router you have but you might try upgrading the firmware for it. You may find the options you need that way. Or just get a router that has the options you need. They are out there.

Black Blade

Black Blade

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
My router is an SMC 7004 Barricade (wired) 4 port. I only have the option of selecting various clients on it and can filter the ports, but since don't know what ports or range of ports to cover...so far it don't have any effect.

Kurt_Aust

Kurt_Aust

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Not sure if yours can do this, but on mine I can assign IP addresses based on the PCs MAC.

If you can do this, then maybe you can also do the next step of blocking services based on IP address and simply block all ports (1-65534, TCP/UDP), hard to find an open port when there aren't any.

Note this should only block ports accessing the internet, PC to PC should be unaffected.

kd1966

kd1966

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
I have a Dlink W-router and can set IP's based on MAC's as well. Another idea I thought of would be to use the parental options and if this MSN chat proogram is used at a certain tiem, then like you said, block all internet ports during this time frame. I still think the better option is to use the MS shared computer toolkit and just block the person from installing new programs [after deleting the chat program, of course]