Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Please Help!

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
krabpeople...

IF the power supply turns out to be bad, it would be a matter of changing it out with a new one. Not really very difficult at all. Let's watch the voltages a while before we condemn the PSU.

Have you run the MEMTEST application? Some of your symptoms could be RAM related.

wannabe1

Advertisements

krabpeople

krabpeople

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
MemTest has 0 errors at 101% coverage still running
would the psu problem be whats making it freeze on the shutdown screen?
because I cant do any type of restores or anything since the machine wont restart

Edited by krabpeople, 01 October 2005 - 07:10 PM.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Don't know if it's related, but my dad's computer wouldn't shut down either and the problem was his hp cd-writer. I never would of noticed it but after trying numerous things for a good couple of hours I happened to have my head down thinking during one of the shut down attempts and noticed that the hp cd-writer's activity light was constantly on. I unplugged it and it worked fine. Maybe try unplugging all other drives except the one that windows is installed on...

Just a thought as I had a problem similar and figured I'd throw a possible solution out.

Fenor

P.S. -- As for the initial error you get about C:\PROGRA~1\yahoo!\browser\ybrowser.exe, maybe you should try reinstalling the yahoo software from the yellow cd that came with it. I'm figuring you are using SBC Yahoo DSL as your Internet Service Provider (ISP).