Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

NAV 2005 AutoUpdate

• Please log in to reply

tomf

tomf

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
I run Norton AntiVirus 2005 and I have auto update enabled. I am on a cable modem so my PC is always connected to the internet. It appears that the auto udate function does not always check for updates. The last two times I had to run NAV's live update to get the latest info. Right now, it shows that my virus definitions are 9 days old. I am quite sure that if I ran live update it would find more recent one's out there. I run Zone Alarm Pro as the Firewall and I believe that I have the necessary programs allowed to complete the update. When I run it manually Zone Alarm does not ask me for a program permission. It is my impression that NAV is supposed to check every 4 hour for new updates. Anyone else experiencing this problem?????

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
I don't use NAV but I remember reading that if it's set to auto-update it only updates once a week regardless of the frequency setting. Only manual live-update will get you the latest, more frequent updates.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
No, my Norton checks with home every four hours no matter what. Toggle Live Update off, then back on again. btw, it is normal to have items in queue in Live Update if installing them will require a reboot.

Johanna

tomf

tomf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Prior to this post, my virus definition file was dated 09/21/2005. I then ran the manual update on October 1 and it brought the definitions file to 09/28/2005 and did not require a reboot. So as you can see it definitely did not check every 4 hours as I also thought it would do. I will try turning it off and back on to see if that makes any difference. Is there a way to tell when the next scheduled attempt of an automatic update will take place so that I can try to see what may be going on if it doesn't work? By the way Johanna is a lovely name, it was also my Mother's.

Tom

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Hmmm... No, there is no way to know when the next LU will be. Norton is supposed to check every four hours (for an always on connection) and grab anything Symantec puts in queue for it.

Perhaps something is interfering with the task... You have Live Update set to "automatic", right? Try toggling that setting. Look in Control Panel> Power Options and set everything to never shut off. If you modem or router has a "sleep" function, disable it. Check System Restore and see if your computer is making regular restore points (if it is, the problem is probably in Norton, not Windows. Umm...ME, huh? See if Windows is connecting to synchronize time or something. If you email Norton they will say to uninstall reboot, reinstall and bleed Live Update. This procedure is 50-50% effective. I would install NAV right overtop itself, but I do regular backups, and never worry about inadvertently trashing my OS. If you have the XP firewall on, turn it off. If I think of anything else to try I will post back.

Johanna
"Johanna" is the feminine form of John (Johannes) and means "God's gracious gift". I was named for a great grandmother, a German lady they called "Hannah". My family calls me "Ma'am!" sigh. I wish. LOL

tomf

tomf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Automatic Live Update was set to on and I toggled it to see if that makes any difference. Do you use NAV and if so what is the date of your virus definitions, mine is 09/28/2005? System restore does have checkpoints so it appears to be working. I have nothing checking for time updates because at least once a month I need to update my clock as it may loose 5 minutes or so. The power options that I have set, and they were that way for years and Live Update was working, are Turn off monitor -- 15 mins, Turn off hard drive -- 30 mins, and standby -- never. This problem just started recently. I am using ME as my OS so I wouldn't have the XP firewall. In my Zone Alarm Pro I have the following Symantic programs set to "ALLOW" across the board -- lucomserver_2_6.exe, ndetect.exe, and ccapp.exe. Do you know if others may be missing from this list? Contacting Norton is useless. Without paying for their support the only thing they will tell you, as you stated, is to uninstall and then reinstall. Comcast customers now receive the McAfee Security suite for free. Will not renew Norton.

Tom

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
My AV definitions are 9/28 also, I have NAV as part of NIS. Duh about the firewall, you have ME. I need to go for a bit, but I will be back

Johanna