Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

NTLDR is missing

• Please log in to reply

-=Ac3=-

-=Ac3=-

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
Hey guyz recentley i formated my hard drive and began installing windows. The setup had finished reformating my hard drive and moved on to copying setup files for windows,at aroun 96% it stoped and the computer turned off. After trying countless times to reinstall just after the bios screen an error comes up and displays
NTLDR is missing
press "ctrl", "alt" ,"delete" to reset.
I dont know what is casuing it so i took the hard drive to a mates house and reformated it there as a secondary hard drive. As a secondary the hard drive still runs perfect but when i returned it to my computer or put it as main on both computer the error message came up again.
HELP NEEDED GUYZ :tazz:

Advertisements

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
Try some of the solutions found here:
NTLDR is missing

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
I would try taking out all the non-essential components of your computer. Only things you really need is video (take out the AGP video card if you have onboard video spot), CD-ROM and primary hard drive. Everything else can be added one-by-one after windows is installed correctly to help you narrow down the problem.

Good luck and post back the details.

Fenor

*Edit: Early morning, pre-caffeine, typos corrected :tazz: *

Edited by Fenor, 01 October 2005 - 09:10 AM.

skate_punk_21

skate_punk_21

Malware Removal Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 1,049 posts
if your friend is running the same OS, you could try copying over his NTLDR file to your drive. leave it at the root C:\ and try booting again.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
try doing a repair install of windows, basically boot from your xp cd and follow all the steps as if you were going to start over, but don't format the drive. when it recognizes your current install of windows...choose the r option

your MBR probably got corrupted so if you get this to work y ou should run check disk from inside windows when it loads

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Just curious skate_punk_21, but I believe ntldr files are configured for each machine they are installed on, so I don't belive it would work copying the file from another machine unless they are exact machines.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Fenor

OwNt

OwNt

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 7,457 posts
I agree with dsenette. Most likely from what you described the MBR got damaged/corupted. Before going for a repair, try typing R at the first screen when you boot from the xp cd, and use the commands FixMBR and Fixboot.

Edited by OwNt, 01 October 2005 - 05:20 PM.

-=Ac3=-

-=Ac3=-

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
Guyz i dont know whats going on i tried installing windows on another spare hard drive that i have an i get a different error this time, invalid system boot disk or something like that, by the way the other hard drive has no os on it, it is completley blank

OwNt

OwNt

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 7,457 posts
Hello, -=Ac3=-.

Did you make sure the cable settings are right? Masster/Slave or CS? What is the exact error message now?

-=Ac3=-

-=Ac3=-

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
Ok thanks guyz i really apreicated all the replies to this topic, i found out that the actually problem was the the xp cd was damages and therrfore not booting from cd rom, cheers thanks alot for the replies guyz, u guyz are the best :tazz: