Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Powerpanel

• Please log in to reply

SMPHD

SMPHD

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I installed a new battery for my Sony Vaio computer. This computer is equipped with Phoenix Technologies PowerPanel 5.0.0-S001. Somehow, the various PCF files used by this program are suddenly missing, and every time I boot up the computer, the computer searches for eight or nine different PCF files.

How do I replace these files? Or, how do I stop this search? Is this Powerpanel software of any importance?

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Try uninstalling the Power Panel from ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS in the CONTROL PANEL and then redownloading the program from the sony vaio site and reinstall. Then reboot your computer and see if the problem is solved.

Fenor

SMPHD

SMPHD

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I tried that, only to find that even the Sony support personnel are unable to locate the necessary Power Panel files to download. Now I have no power schemes in my computer.

One of their support personnel told me to re-install from the Applications Restore Diskette (which of course I do not have), while another one suggested that I re-install Windows XP, which I consider a useless waste of time. I am not even sure that the PowerPanel Phoenix program is a part of Windows operating system.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Go to POWER OPTIONS in the CONTROL PANEL and click on the ADVANCED tab. What does it say in there?

SMPHD

SMPHD

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Under advanced in power options it prompts me to select the power saving settings that I want. In one box it gives me the option to select whether I want an icon in the task bar; or whether I want to be prompted for password on resuming from standby. In the other box it gives me opportunity to select the actions the computer will take when I close the lid or press the power button.

SMPHD

SMPHD

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thank you for your interest. I was finally able to obtain the applications recovery diskette from Sony and re-installed PowerPanel. This has solved the problem, I believe, so far.