Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Registry Tweak Sound Problem

• Please log in to reply

river

river

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Can anyone help,

For some unknown reason I have lost some of my sounds on my computer i.e. start up sound when the computer is switched on, shutdown sound, messenger sounds & you have mail sound.

I can hear sound when I play a music CD or DVD and other devices that have sound associated to it.

I have been in the control panel and reset my sound configuration but still do not work, I have reinstalled windows XP and still does not work?

The option I have is to do is a full format which I do not want to do as it takes time & then reinstall all software that I need.

I think it may be a tweak that can be resolved within my registry.

Has anyone out there had the same problem or can someone suggest any tweaks?

I know that there are tweaks to the registry for sound but I wouldn't know where to start with that.

Any help would be appreciated. I am a new user to this website and think its an excellent site.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hey river! Welcome to G2G!

Try this: Put your XP cd in the drive, then go to START-->RUN and type in the follow:

sfc /scannow

*Notice the space between sfc and /scannow*

This will go through your windows files and replace any files that are corrupted/missing. After the blue bar has gone away, take out your XP CD and reboot your machine.

Post back how things are going after doing this.

Fenor

river

river

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Dear fenor,

Thanks for your advise, unfortunately it did not work. I tried it twice to make sure that I hadn't missed anything. Both time failed to work for my computer.

I know that if I add a user all the sounds will work OK when I log on to the new user but of course I don't want to use the new user.

Your help is really appreciated.

River

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Go to START-->CONTROL PANEL. Then go in SOUNDS & AUDIO DEVICES. Then click on the SOUNDS tab. In the box below the title PROGRAM EVENTS is there an icon (tha tlooks similar to the sound icon in the system tray next to the clock in bottom right corner of screen) next to the following entries?
  • Start Windows
  • Windows Logoff
  • Windows Logon
Post back if these exist or not.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 03 October 2005 - 11:28 AM.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Even if they are listed do the following:

In the same SOUNDS tab as before, in the drop-down box below the title SOUND SCHEMES, select WINDOWS DEFAULT. Then click APPLY and OK. Click yes to the warning that your current sound scheme will be lost because you didn't save it.

Reboot your computer and see if the problem still exists.

Fenor

river

river

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi,

Did all you asked, all sound marked up for:

Start Windows
Windows Logoff
Windows Logon

Set to WINDOWS DEFAULT and then rebooted and unfortunately my computer is still the same.

The silly thing is that I can hear sound when plying Cd's or DVDs... Frustrating really.

Thanks for your help, really appreciated.