Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Microsoft Antispyware

• Please log in to reply

SlimJim

SlimJim

• Pip
  • 2 posts
This morning I was checking the processes running on my computer - which happened to be 45 - and noticed every few seconds a spike in CPU usage of about 19% would briefly appear then disappear. This was due to process "gcas.Serv.exe". I did some research and found this was part of the Microsoft Antispyware process. Just curious if anyone in the forum - who has MS Antispyware installed - would take a look at your processes and see if you have the same thing. Wonder what this is doing every few seconds, and is it normal? It consumes quite a bit of computer resources, albeit only briefly. If this is normal, seems like it would be a good idea to turn it (MS Antispyware) off when burning a CD - don't want that sharp spike in computer resources when doing an intensive operation like ripping or burning a CD.

If anyone has comments about this process, I'd appreciate hearing them...Thanks...Jim

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It uses 9% every 5 seconds on here

SlimJim

SlimJim

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi Keith...A friend of mine suggested what MS Antispyware is doing is "waking up" ever little bit, taking a quick peek around the computer to be sure no spyware is running, then goes back to sleep for a bit. Makes sense to me. I've run various spyware and AV apps and find no problem, so I'll live with this answer for now. Thanks for your response...Jim