Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Help index is blank, Where did it go?

• Please log in to reply

Ali40

Ali40

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I was just curious aboutfew things and wanted to know XP "help" function can shed some light. The index is blank. It appears when Windows f=got installed the help file did not get copied. I assume I can get the copy from the install CD and copy it to the root directory or system32.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Ali40...Welcome to G2G!

Follow the procedure below to replace your missing file.

Open a CMD.EXE window...Click Start then Run , type cmd.exe, and click Ok.
At the prompt, type the following command (Copy and Paste it if you can) and press "Enter".

REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\HELPCTR.EXE" /VE /T REG_SZ /D "C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\HelpCtr.exe" /F

If the file is missing, then open the %systemroot%\inf folder and locate the PCHealth.inf file (might show as PCHealth in Windows Explorer). Right-click the file and choose "Install". Insert the XP CD when prompted. Note: The folder is hidden by default. Click Start then Run and type in: control folders. Under the "View" tab, find "Show hidden files and folders" and uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types".

Let me know how it goes...

wannabe1

Ali40

Ali40

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thank you wannabe1 for caring and quick response. The actual help program exisits and sign on and the program you mentioned exists, but the problem is when you try to get the index instead of getting a list you get blank with no data. I can go to the topics on the openning screen but when I try the index, it appears the file that contain the index is missing.