Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't download Ipod updater

• Please log in to reply

mindgames

mindgames

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hi there

I can't download the updater software for my Ipod, as when I try I get a message telling me that my security settings prevent me from doing so. I've seen a few posts on different sites with other people having the same problem, but no actual absolute fixes. I've checked my trusted sites etc, and I'm sure it's either to do with the latest Windows update or something to do with my firewall (Zonealarm).

Can anyone help please?

Thanks

Advertisements

Emery Herman

Emery Herman

banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
Look in your ZoneAlarm security settings. Look for things that are being blocked that you don't need blocked and uncheck them.

mindgames

mindgames

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Well, not wishing to sound thick, but probably doing so anyway...

I actually tried downloading the file with Zonealarm turned off for a few seconds. Still didn't work.

And, how do I do what you suggested? Is there a list of sites in zonealarm that are blocked?

mindgames

mindgames

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Can anyone help with this please?

Thanks

OwNt

OwNt

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 7,457 posts
mindgames, what is the link to the software? Or does it update through the Ipod interface? (I don't have an Ipod.) Most likely your security settings are to high in the tools > internet options tab, though.

Try adding the url, if you know it - to the trusted sites temporarily, then try.

mindgames

mindgames

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Thanks. The link is http://appldnld.m7z....t/iPodSetup.exe

I just added it to my trusted sites, and after unchecking the box that only lets you add https sites to the list, it's now letting me download the software. Cool.

But I'm still wondering why my computer doesn't think it trusts the Apple download site, it's really weird.

Thanks again.

OwNt

OwNt

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 7,457 posts
The security settings are probably too high in the internet zone. It's probably the way ipod retrieves the updates - or if you retrieve it, maybe the settings are just plain set high. That is in no way a bad thing though. Hopefully you'll be able to stay out of the malwhere forum that way.

-OwNt :tazz: