Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ctrl key/mouse shortcut not working Help Please!

• Please log in to reply

crouth

crouth

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
I just built my own computer, and everything is working just fine, however I have a very weird problem. When I use my control key and the mouse to click and select multiple files, but not all of them, it automatically begins to copy them, then it will delete some, and then copy some more, all while I held the ctrl key down, and click selected say 8 out of 10 files. It does this for files in one folder, or folders. In one program I use for picture capturing/editing. I do the same thing with my picture album, while selecting multiple thumbnails, it will not copy, but it will deselect some, then selct more, and keep going back and forth. I have to select all that I want individually, and do whatever. I can't select 8 out of 10. It does something different with each click.
What I've done:
Specs: XP, MSI motherboard, AMD Athlon 64, 1gb Ram, Asus video card, Seagate Barracuda HDD, Dynex keyboard, Logitech MX310 mouse.
I've already uninstalled the keyboard and mouse drivers, and just used windows. I've tried an old mouse, and keyboard. Reinstalled updated drivers. I don't use many shortcuts, there may be more happening, this is the only thing I've had go wrong that I can't find an answer to anywhere.
Thanks for your help,
Chris

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Do you by chance have "Click Lock" turned on in Mouse Properties?

Johanna

Emery Herman

Emery Herman

banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
Have you tried the built-in screenkeyboard? Start-programs-desktop accessories-look for something like: screenkeyboard. Use the buttons on that feature to see if there is something wrong with your hardware.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
It's START-->ALL PROGRAMS--->ACCESSORIES--->ACCESSIBILITY--->ON-SCREEN KEYBOARD.

It is possible that maybe one of the keys on your keybaord is stuck, or there could possibly be a problem with some of your context handlers. Try a different keyboard and mouse and see if the problem still persists.

If it does still persist, put your XP CD in your drive, click START-->RUN and type in: sfc /scannow <---- Please note the space between sfc and /scannow.

Post back with how things are going.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 01 October 2005 - 02:27 PM.

crouth

crouth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I have the mouseware driver from logitech installed. It does not offer a click lock as I've seen on the windows properties. To respond to the other responses, I've tried a different keyboard, and mouse, same result. The techs from logitech, and dynex both think it is a software problem, especially with windows, since it happens on windows explorer, as well as another program.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
If you have your XP CD handy, put it in the drive and then go to START-->RUN and type in: sfc /scannow <----- Note the space between sfc & /scannow

This will go through and replace any of the windows files that are corrupt. Once the blue bar goes away, reboot your computer. If the problem still persists, uninstall the logitech software and reinstall it.

By chance is your mouse and/or keyboard wireless? If they are the receiver could be too close to magnetic objects like your monitor, speakers, etc... Try moving it farther away.

Post back how things are going.

Fenor

crouth

crouth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I also used the on screen keyboard, and it did the same thing. I also did the sfc /scannow, and it completed and didn't do anything more, so I guess everything is ok?
Chris

crouth

crouth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Did the scannnow, rebooted, didn't work. Mouse and keyboard are both corded.
Chris

crouth

crouth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I know it's the weekend, so maybe not many have seen this problem. Any other solutions?
Chris