Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

3-Com Ethernet Card

• Please log in to reply

mcavinee

mcavinee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hi Feor:

This machine is very frustrating. As you seen in my reply to wannabe1 the floppy works fine in my thinkpad laptop. Just not in the gateway

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Guys...

Note: When updating your computer's BIOS, the update process fails if you use a floppy disk formatted in Microsoft® Windows® 2000, Windows NT®, or Windows XP. Instead, use a new IBM pre-formatted disk. Refer to Readme.txt file for more details.

From the Gateway Support page. This may apply to operations other than BIOS transfers (ran into it before with Gateway machines).

wannabe1

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
I had him format a floppy on the gateway laptop and then to put the floppy in the other computer and copy the file to it and then put the floppy back in the gateway laptop and see if it runs the file, but to no ado. It wouldn't make sense for the floppy not to read a floppy that was formatted using the floppy drive attached to it unless the floppy drive was bad.

Fenor

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
wannabe1:

I don't have a floppy drive in my computer so I can't test it, but are there other formatting options he could change to possibly make it work?

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 02 October 2005 - 10:19 AM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
If there are, I haven't run into them yet..... :tazz:

wannabe1

mcavinee

mcavinee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Thanks for all your help guys. The ethernet port in back of the machine that has a networking logo beside it should accept the ethernet cable and work. It does not either so I took the NIC cards out and trying to solve the problem with why that part will not work. That may give me some answers as well. Mark

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
mcavinee...

Let's concentrate on the original network card. Remove the "new" network card. Go to Device Manager and right click the "old" network device and choose "Uninstall" then click "Ok" Once you have uninstalled the network device, reboot and let the computer detect and install the device.

Let me know how it goes...

wannabe1

mcavinee

mcavinee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
You will find this hard to believe but I am usually good with this stuff. My other laptop I installed the same way and it worked. This Gateway is a pain. It is not installing the network adapter it needs to run the card and I have not clue why the socket in the back does not work.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Is may be possible that the onboard LAN was disabled in the bios. Try going into the bios and check and see if the onboard LAN is set to DISABLED. If it is, enable it and reboot your computer.

Fenor