Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer randomly restarts

• Please log in to reply

computermaker

computermaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
also im having problems with my web browser i cant run 2 seprate windows without the first one i opend freezed i was wondering
my windows my friend installed it and he wouldnt tell me if it was a real windows cd if im gonna reinstall windows and buy a brand new copy tomorrow could this cause me trouble if the windows i got inst real

Advertisements

computermaker

computermaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
i partitioned my drive and install a fresh copy of windows xp and still the game restarts when i exit it so far i dunno if it will restart in game a played a good 2 hours of the game fear mutiplayer without any problems tho

Inu-Ya

Inu-Ya

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
I've had my Graphics Card lock my computer up once. I have a ASUS 9200SE 128MB 4XAGP Enabled. It could be your Graphics Card! Have you checked the Temp. on that? Mine locks up when playing Dawn Of War. Sadly it does and I need a new card but the game over all runs well for my system. Get 50 to 40FPS.

Edited by Inu-Ya, 07 October 2005 - 08:08 PM.

computermaker

computermaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
well i have a flat sensor i can put on the graphics card to see what temp its running but i dunno where to put the sensor any idea? and if my card is overheating what can i do to cool it off i alrdy have 2 fans blowing on it and 1 on the core it only restarts when i exit the game not when playing it which is wierd ill play some more and see if it restarts while playing like it did a few days ago other then that how can i cool it off

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Your temps and voltages all look normal so no problem there but I would like to know the temp of the video card, I doubt this is a problem though because the restart occurs when you exit the game.

Does this happen with other games?. If so its a driver or ram issue and you would next need to check the ram with memtest. You should also try lowering the ram clock to 133mhz in bios because that would make the ram run in sync with the cpu witch is sometimes need with certain combinations of Amd cpu's and mobos for greatest stability.

If not its a game issue so you would need to check the game manufactuers website for any updates, also make sure you have all the MS critical updates installed.

Try these suggestions and let us know

Rick

computermaker

computermaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
well i did what u said i put the ram on 133mghs and the computer is running alot better and loading things faster also i was looking around bios and my onboard vga shared memory is on auto is that ok? i changed agp aperture size to 256mb it was on 32mb could that of cause a problem? now i can exit out of the game with it restarting :tazz: but i just open and closed it ill try out tomorrow play for a few hours then close it and see what happens
it porbaly was the ram it was running at 166 and my processor is on 266mgz pin which in turn is 133 i belive

computermaker

computermaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
it no longer restarts when i exit but it just restarted while playing the game i dunno what it can be

computermaker

computermaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
this is so annoying i played for about 1 hour then exited then it restarted i dunno what to do its so annoying

computermaker

computermaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
my computer just restarted when i wasnt even doing much :\ i dont get it

in_texas_dallas

in_texas_dallas

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
Not sure if I can be of much help, but I had a similar, however isolted event like that happen...

I was just viewing a webpage and all of a sudden my computer restarted out of the blue really... When it rebooted, I logged in and XP popped up a message saying that ATI RADEON 7000 Series hung attempting to draw... I dunno how this caused my computer to restart... Weird, might have been power, I have a really old power supply ... dunno

I don't think your temps are out of line... If you can be sure that your computer is not overheating, try disabling the restart or automatic shutdown...
If that fails, look into getting a new power supply...

Advertisements

computermaker

computermaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
also i think the restart when i was doing nothing was a power surge because there was no error log our nothing and my montior light was off
so must of been a serge also it just restartes on and off witht he game fear i kno i just make the minium requirments how can i tell if i need a new psu?

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Please post the name and how many watt psu you have I know you listed it before but you said you were not certain.

The voltages you reported from everest were normal except the 12v was a bit high but I don't think its any thing to worry about. Report the voltages again from bios, I would like to compare them with everest.

When reading the voltages do they change much? If so how much? The thing about a psu is they can have normal voltages and still be flaky that is why I would like to know the exact model so I can look it up to see if its a quality psu or not. This is starting to act like a psu because now the restarts have changed from when you were playing games to anytime.

i was looking around bios and my onboard vga shared memory is on auto is that ok

Turn this off not needed if you have a video card

Leave the ram clock set to 133mhz and run memtest86. Leave memtest run at its defaults at least 6 hours then report back what if it found any errors and what test the errors occured on.

Rick

computermaker

computermaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
its a colorsit came with my case heres the link has a picture of the psu http://www.newegg.co...N82E16811209017

i would do memtest but i have no floppy drive

Edited by computermaker, 10 October 2005 - 07:02 PM.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Replace the psu it has low amps on the 12v rail and you are running a geforce 6600 that requires a lot of 12v amps, I am not positive this is the problem but you must start with a quality psu such as

Antec would be good for your system.

You can test the ram with out a floppy but it is pointless untill you get a better psu to be sure thats not the problem

computermaker

computermaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
wish i had money for a new psu i dont at the moment should i worry about this?will it damage my parts? also what do i need on the psu the one u showed me has a 12 v at 17a mine is at 15a :\ i dont kno what to look for in a psu

Edited by computermaker, 10 October 2005 - 08:53 PM.