Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer randomly restarts

• Please log in to reply

computermaker

computermaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
wish i had money for a new psu i dont at the moment should i worry about this?will it damage my parts?

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
The Antec I showed you has two 12v rails, each are 17A for a total of 34A on the 12v. Thats a bit of a difference for the good don't you think

I do think it could damage other components because of the resarts, a resart unexpectidly is never a good thing that and the fact that I know your current psu is not of very good quality is why I recommend changing it before damage happens.

I hate recommending people spend thier hard earned cash without being absoultly sure it will fix thier problem but in this case with the video card you are running and that psu you will be doing yourself a favor either way

computermaker

computermaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
so i need to get one with 2 v rails? can u give me any other links with cheaper ones

computermaker

computermaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
also when my computer restarts i have auto restart uncheck when it restarts none of the lights our the fans in my computer ever stop working :\

EMCguy

EMCguy

• PipPipPip
  • 729 posts
I agree with Doby that the power supply issues could be your problem.

The modern computer power supply doesn't just supply power, it also send logic signals to the mother board, and some of those signals tell the mother board to reset. The intention with those signals is to protect the computer from data corruption, so that when power is lost the mother board will positivley reset before the CPU voltages drop too low.

The problem is that on some supplies these circuits are too sensitive, and send out too many reset signals, even when there is no good reason to reset.

There is no way to adjust these settings. If that's what the problem is, one of the cheaper ways to solve it is to replace the supply as Doby says.

A couple of questions

Did you build this computer yourself?
Has it always had simlar problems?

If the answer to both those questions is yes, then the power supply is a likely candidate.

Best regards,

EMCguy

computermaker

computermaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
yes i built it myself and it started restarting after playing fear like i had the computer on all day yesturday and it didnt restart once

EMCguy

EMCguy

• PipPipPip
  • 729 posts
So are you saying that it only happens after playing fear? I got the impression for your earlier posts that it was more random than that.

best regards,

EMCguy

PS None of the lights go out? Do you have one of those fancy cases with the clear plastic cutouts on the sides that lets you look at the neat LED's inside?

Edited by EMCguy, 12 October 2005 - 04:17 PM.

Billre1967

Billre1967

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
If he had onboard video why doesn't he remove the video card and try using the onboard video? That way he would know if it was due to the poor power supply. Also, if he can't afford a new PSU right now he could use the onboard until he had the money to buy one. Not the ideal situation, but better than restarts and possibly burning something out!

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts

so i need to get one with 2 v rails?

No what you need is more amps on the 12v for your system 24a on the 12v would be good so get a name brand Antec, Enermax, thermaltake to name a few just read the specs and make sure the psu you pick is of atleast 400w and 24A on the 12v but remember most new psu's have 12v1 and 12v2 so you add these together to get the total amps.

Try newegg.com or zipzoomfly.com for pricing.

EMCguy gave you a good explination of a flaky psu and how it acts.

computermaker

computermaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
i dunno my computer hasnt restarted in a few days and and 1 our 2 times did it restart randomly doing nothing and its only if on that day i played fear i havnt played it in 2 days and i have no problems just wierd that my fans our my lights dont go off when the computer restarts and since i have auto check off when it goes off ever fan and light is still on and to turn it on i need to push the power button twice to shut it and turn it back on our just the reset button which i use just if it was the psu wouldnt everything be off in my system :\

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
When you say restart what exactly what happens,

does the system go to a blue screen with fans and lights still on?

does the system go to a black screen with fan and lights still on?

does the system reboot windows.

Tell me this and then I will tell you about a program to run to test your hardware.

computermaker

computermaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
well if i put the auto restart on it will auto restart my computer if i have it unchecked the montior is black but not to get u confused no matter if i manual have to start it our it auto restarts the computer is restarting but none of the fans our lights stop working other then that it just restarts and i get the bugcheck error

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Ok lets try this, download and install prime95 then run its torture test at the defaults.

Prime will test the cpu, mobo,ram and psu. It does not test the video card or software/drivers.

Report back how long it runs till it stops or errors if it does, let it run for 6 hours if it will and keep a eye on your cpu temp for awhile and report that also.

If it runs prime for 6 hours then your hardware is solid and not the problem, this includes the power supply

Slider821

Slider821

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Im not sure you should go out and buy a new PSU. I also built my computer myself and keep up on its performance often. When I installed FEAR I also began having this problem. Becuase we are both having this problem (althought mine is a little different), I came to the conclusion that it might be the nvidia drivers provided with the game. I am going to install to the newest nvidia drivers from the nvidia website, if that doesnt work, I havn't a slightest clue, but I am also going to provide in this discussion.

My problem is as follows:
Computer reboots randomly, usually within 1 hour of booting it up. It restarts and the fans spin faster but the moniter does not pick up signal. The monitor also appears that it is connected (no floating RGB box asking to check video cables). To actually reboot the computer once this happens I have to turn it off and back on. The reboots continue this at a more frequent rate until I cant even reach the desktop. This sounds a lot like a heating problem, but i have never had a problem like this before and it isnt when the computer is running a game or some other memory/video card hog.

I don't know what to do. Help please. I will update when I install new drivers.

Also, my specs are as follows

Asus A7N8X motherboard
AMD PC2800+
1.5 gig pc 2700 ram
WD 120 + 160 gig hard drives, partitioned into 40 gb sections
BFG 6800 Ultra OC AGP video card
Semi-new Thermaltake 480 watt PSU

Thanks

Darrin

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Well Darrin if you have automatic restart unchecked and the computer still reboots thats usually a indicater of a bad piece of hardware like a psu and usually does indicate its not a driver because if it was it would give the famous BSOD with a error.

Thats why I also suggested to run prime95 because that too will only error if its hardware related and not if its a driver issue.

Hope that helps you somewhat.

Rick