Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

emt 64 question

• Please log in to reply

morfius

morfius

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
Hi

I was just wondering if celeron d processors support emt 64 because I have downloaded lavalys everest home edition and it says that it has support for emt 64 extension.

Does this mean that my computer can support 64 bit applications or is it a mistake and my computer doesn't support it.

I would appreciate a reply and please can someone tell me a bit more about emt 64 and what it does.

Thanks
Morfius

Advertisements

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Hi morfius,
The technology you are referring to is called EM64T (Intel Extended Memory 64 Technology) not EMT64.

Any yes, some models of CeleronD do support EM64T; if EVEREST says your processor does, that means your CeleronD has EM64T.

The EM64T is a technology that extends a processor's memory model to 64-bit.
64-bit addressing will allow your main memory(RAM+virtual memory) to go up to 1 TB(tetrabyte) compared to only 4GB in 32-bit addressing on 32-bit processors.

To take advantage of EM64T you need a 64-bit Operating System like Windows XP 64-bit.

morfius

morfius

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
thanks darth_ash for your reply.

Does that mean my computer can support 64 bit applications and if so do I need windows xp 64 bit edition or will normal xp run these apps in 64 bit.

In 64 bit are there twice as many colours as there are in 32 bit?

Emery Herman

Emery Herman

banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
I suggest you read this article about windows X64. It has lots of info about X64.

Edited by Emery Herman, 02 October 2005 - 08:30 AM.

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Yes your PC can support 64-bit apps; but you will need a 64-bit Operating System like Windows XP 64-bit, to fully utilize it.
Though I would'nt suggest and upgrade to it, beacause 64-bit software is still pre-mature and is quite unstable. You could download the trial for WinXP64 from the link Emery Herman has given and give it a try.

In 64 bit are there twice as many colours as there are in 32 bit?

View Post

64-bit OS and processors have nothing to do with the size of color codes.
It will in general increase your PCs performance.

morfius

morfius

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
wouldn't the trial wipe my computer so that I would have to reinstall xp all over again once the trial has finished

morfius

morfius

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Please can you take a look at this. I posted it in hardware and peripherals but everyone seems to have ignored me for like a day.

new ram and graphics card

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts

wouldn't the trial wipe my computer so that I would have to reinstall xp  all over again once the trial has finished

View Post

You could install the trial on a seprate partition.