Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help with ME PL

• Please log in to reply

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
In most ME installation the cabinet files, the ones used for installation are kept in a folder called Install. It will either be in C: or Windows/options/Install. Look for it and you may not need an installation disk to correct your problems. Also, look on the case for your product key, it if isn't there it will be in the Registry. It's a wise idea when you start messing around with an unknown computer to keep the product key written down in a handy place because you may need to do a reinstall.

Advertisements

amichcpl1

amichcpl1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
no getting one today will get back w u tomorro thanks really appricate the help so far.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
amichcpl1...

Ok...this'll be a fun one! First, the product key. Click Start then Run and type regedit and click "Ok". In the left pane, expand (click the + sign) "H_KEY_LOCAL MACHINE"... then expand "SOFTWARE"...then expand "Microsoft"...then expand "Windows"...then expand "Current Version". In the right pane, look in the list for the "Product Key" listing and write that key down. Exit the registry editor.

Now...Open (double click) "My Computer" then open "Local Disk C:" then open "Windows". On the toolbar (top of the window), click "Tools" and then "Folder Options". Under the "View" tab, put a tick in the button next to "Show hidden files and folders", "Apply" the change and click "Ok". Now open "Options" and then open "Install".

From the next step on you should be in Windows Setup and this (hopefully) will reinstall or repair your OS without the cd.

Double click on the Setup icon...Setup should begin...let's hope that this is not an upgrade version...if it is, it will ask for a previous Windows version...any Windows 95 or 98 cd will work to get past this.

Good Luck!

wannabe1

:tazz: (THANX Tyger...I was putting this all together when you posted...great minds run in the same gutters, they say!) :)

Edited by wannabe1, 02 October 2005 - 02:23 PM.

amichcpl1

amichcpl1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
TY going to get one now will be back TY much