Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Crashes At Random Intervals

• Please log in to reply

Falkens_Maze

Falkens_Maze

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Long time lurker, first time poster.

XP boots up normally but then freezes at random intervals. Sometimes after 5 minutes, sometimes after an hour of use, theres no set pattern.

Tried doing an XP repair using the installation CD but the freezing still persists as before.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Edited by Falkens_Maze, 02 October 2005 - 10:38 AM.

Advertisements

OwNt

OwNt

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 7,457 posts
Hello, Falkens_Maze.

Try checking in the event log for anything right before it freezes to see if it lists anything. Did you install/change anything before this happened?

Falkens_Maze

Falkens_Maze

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I didn't change anything.

It had to go back for repairs recently because of a motherboard and hard drive problem and XP was re-installed (by the technicians). Its an office machine at work, and it went away before I started working there.

Since it has come back from the shop, it has started freezing (so I'm told).

Its also a network machine, I decided (to be safe) to take it off the network because of said crashes and freezes.

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
This could be hardware related, then.
Do you have another, known-good power supply?
Try clearing out the dust and make sure the case fans are positioned to maximize air flow.

If it is software-related an error will be in the event log like OwNt said. You may want to turn off the automatic restart under System failure too.

Right-click My Computer, then go to the Advanced tab and click Settings under Startup and Recovery, then uncheck Automatically restart and click OK twice. You will have to reboot before the changes take place. This will NOT solve your problem, but may show an error on a blue screen that can be used to help solve your problem.

Falkens_Maze

Falkens_Maze

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Thankyou, will try your suggestions out tomorrow and get back to you both.