Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS problems

• Please log in to reply

redflea

redflea

• Pip
  • 3 posts
System:
Operating System: Windows XP Professional
Processor: Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 3.20GHz (2 CPUs), ~3.2GHz
Memory: 2048MB RAM (Dual 4x Modules)DDR2
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c
Card name: ATI RX600XT PCI-Ex & 128MB
Sound Devices:Creative Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS (PCI)
Disk & DVD/CD-ROM Drives: 2x SATA HDD 200GB each

System working fine.
Upgrade Graphics card to NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GTX.
Format system and change filing system to NTFS.
Install winxp Pro (Same as before). Install drivers.
Sound card works - and then dies.
Windows cannot see a sound device.
Format system again. Still no joy. Sound card not detected by windows. Remove card to inspect. I did not find anything odd. No "caps" have popped and no buring smell.
Change to diffrent PCI slot - still windows does not pick up the sound card. Remove card and replace with Aopen PCI Cobra AW-850 Deluxe. Card works perfectly. Continue to installing all apps and drives. All is working fine. Put Creative sound card back in system - windows does not pick up any sound device.

Can anyone please offer me some advice to what my next step should be before I assume the worst and discard this EXPENSIVE sound card? Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
I suspect the card died. Can you put it in another system and try it?

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
Have you tried putting the sound card in a different PCI slot?

redflea

redflea

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for the reply guys.
I have placed it into another system and swapped the PCI slots and still no joy. It seems as if it’s toast. Thanks anyway.
By the way ever since this has happened my system as described in my first message has become highly unstable. I have multiple OS and both are crashing more often even in start-up. I am sceptical to format my system again at this moment but could this all mean that I have some hardware problem or damage. I put in a second power supply purely for the Geforce 7800 GTX. Still my system remains unstable. There is more than 60Gig of HDD space on all the HDD with OS’s. Any advice would be much appreciated.
redFlea

Goodzwell

Goodzwell

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Have you replaced your power supply? That could be part of the problem, maybe even THE problem.