Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP acting up

• Please log in to reply

ist643

ist643

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I currently can only get windows to load in safe mode with networking 100% of the time, and even then after about 10 minutes the fan just is going wild and you can hear the computer sounds as if it is overheating. I can start it in regular mode, but if and only if the computer has been off for at least several hours...it will load and if you dont open too many windows work for maybe as long as a half hour or so before you begin to hear it struggling and then boom...the blue screen of death pops up and the computer restarts, but it will not reach windows again, it will attempt to but will repeteadly fail and give the blue screen error....if left on it will just continue to try and go back to windows forever. For all the world this seems like an overheating (broken fan) problem to me but all computer folks I have spoken to say it is undoubtedly a virus. None of my virus software is catching anything however which makes me wonder

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi ist643...Welcome to G2G!

Please download Speed Fan, install it, and run it to monitor voltages and temperatures.

Post back with the Low temps (at startup) and the high temps (when it seems to be struggling).

wannabe1

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
After you do what wannabe1 said:
If you feel safe opening your PC cover, you could try to remove some of the dust inside.
How many case fans do you have?
Also, what is the error message?

ist643

ist643

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

After you do what wannabe1 said:
If you feel safe opening your PC cover, you could try to remove some of the dust inside.
How many case fans do you have?
Also, what is the error message?

View Post

Its a laptop so I can't think very many fans. The error message is not up long enough to see entirely, but the main error i see is "invalid queue item" i believe.

ist643

ist643

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
downloaded speed fan....52.0 C "ACPI?" TEMP on startup

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
0x00000096 INVALID_WORK_QUENE_ITEM?
Read here.

Edited by Pi rules, 02 October 2005 - 05:48 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
ist643...

The ACPI reference in your last post piqued my interest.

Click Start then Run and type eventvwr.msc and click "Ok". In the left pane, click "System"...in the right pane, are there any red circles next to errors referencing acpi?

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 02 October 2005 - 05:53 PM.

ist643

ist643

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

ist643...

The ACPI reference in your last post piqued my interest.

Click Start then Run and type eventvwr.msc and click "Ok".  In the left pane, click "System"...in the right pane, are there any red circles next to errors referencing acpi?

wannabe1

View Post

No acpis listed at all in the event log, but there are loads of errors, the majority of them showing up next to the "DCOM" and "cdrom" sources. For the record, 60C now the temp showing up....I've been told anytihng more than 50 is bad

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
ist643...

It started out too hot and got worse. Can you hear the fan running in there? You might try a can of compressed air and see if you can get the CPU cooler as clean as possible. For now, prop the back of the machine on a book or something to get some airspace under it and see if it cools down a little. Maybe a notebook cooler would be a good investment for you. Definitely try to get the dust out of it, though.

Might also be time for a new CPU fan.

Kinda thought this was a heat problem from the git go....just wanted a little verification. :tazz:

wannabe1