Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

AdAwareSE program problem

• Please log in to reply

useacrna

useacrna

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have tried multiple times to scan my hard drive with AdAwareSE program. I have installed and uninstalled the program many times over the last three weeks. I even followed "geeks to go" instructions to the letter tonite. Always the same problem--the deep scan gets stuck around the 66,845 file level. I have seen this program work on other computers. What is wrong with my computer that the program can't work?

Advertisements

chirp

chirp

• PipPip
  • 93 posts
Hmmm I'm not an expert but maybe you should try to do a scan in safe mode (to get to safe mode when your computer starts keep pressing f8 and goto safe mode) i would suggest that

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
it could be stuck either on a bad file or a file that it is having a hard time cleaning/identifing. I agree. running in safe mode would be a good option.

don77

don77

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 18,526 posts
This would have been better asked in the malware forum,
However, it could be a couple different issues,
A couple questions
1 - Is Ad-aware finding items prior to it stalling ?
2- have you tried cleaning out your temp folders ?
3- Your using the current def's ? Meaning check for webupdates prior to running,
4 - What OS are you running ?

Ok maybe that was more thean a couple questions :tazz:

Thef0rce

Thef0rce

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
safe mode is a good idea.

also, if it's finding stuff before getting stuck, try to stop the scan, remove the stuff that it finds, and then start it again. I've had it get stuck mid-scan sometimes when it finds too much spyware.