Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Recording?

• Please log in to reply

jasonpeinko

jasonpeinko

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
Ok i have a sound board and mic so what do i need to record to a cd?
I know how to do it to a tape but not cd what hardware do i need? I need something under $100

Advertisements

Allsortgroup

Allsortgroup

I SPAMMED Too Much!

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts
Well it prob wont cost you anything!

Have you got...

1) A microphone which will plug into your pc?
2) A pc with a cd writer?

If you have that then your all fixed up.

All you need to do is get 2 software programmes...

1) You will need a software program which will record your voice. I recomment the free audacity.
Download it here... Download!!!

2) You will then need a cd burner software. Download a free one here. Download!!!

Then install them both and record your voice with audacity, export it into an mp3. Then burn the mp3 to a cd.

Walla, there you go. :tazz:

jasonpeinko

jasonpeinko

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
i need profesional sound. I would like to use XLR mics too. how could i hook up the sound board to the computer? i know how to make it go from the computer to the board but not back

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
ah... something I am familiar with.... first what mixing board are you using? next what sound card are you using? you will need software and hardware to make this work. what software are you using now.... (thinking that you may want to edit your work before dumping to cd).

also are you just dumping what every you have mixed into the pc to record directly to cd? just trying to get a better feel for what your trying to do.

jasonpeinko

jasonpeinko

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
nothing yet I am going to buy the board in a week and hopefully everything else i need.
i am getting a
Behringer Eurorack UB1002 Mixer
i would like everytihg to work with linux if possible.

jasonpeinko

jasonpeinko

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
o yea and i have a baisc sound card the one built into my motherboard
what im trying to do is recoard sound from a MIC going thorugh the board so i cam make nessicary adjustments and then into a computer file. After editing the sound file i will write it to cd and create a streaming file online

Edited by jasonpeinko, 04 October 2005 - 07:41 PM.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
well you should look into getting a better sound card. something that linux supports. probably a turtle beach or creative labs card will do. something basic like the sound blaster live (old, but good and cheap).

now I don't know anything about linux apps. I asked a friend who's into that stuff to see what he uses. hopefully he will get back to me tomorrow.

thats a tight little mixer. you want a good quality 1/4 stereo to 1/8 stereo cable to go from phones to the mic/aux input. you could get a live card with the extra options... it has an external that you can plug all kinds of additional connections into. the one I listed above is the latest. I was thinking if you looked around you could find the old one for less than 50 usd.

or you could just through caution to the wind and get something like this: http://www.emu.com/

in fact I just found this: http://www.euronet.nl/~mailme/

jasonpeinko

jasonpeinko

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
so would this work?

http://www.emu.com/p...1&product=10576
thx for your help i am new at this.

I also have wine and WineX(Cedega)
which alows me to run some windows programs under wine

jasonpeinko

jasonpeinko

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
i still dont get what card i need, the 1/8" cable goes into what?

I am taking Theater Tech and I know what cables are what

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
know what cables are what.... right... :tazz: (i'm giving you a hard time here... :) )

all of your outputs are 1/4 ts connectors. all of your sound card inputs are 1/8 unless you upgrade from the basic sound card. The item you linked to is only an upgrade/addon card for one of their emu series sound cards.

for now I suggest holding off on the sound card. lets start with this: http://linux-sound.org/one-page.html

look through there. it will talk about what is availabe for linux as far as software and also lists what sound cards work with linux.

for now all you need is the ability to go from the sound card input to the out put of your mixer.

jasonpeinko

jasonpeinko

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
ok so they make cables that go from the board into the colored sound card slots? now that i am thinking about it it does look like 1/8" would fit.

Edited by jasonpeinko, 05 October 2005 - 07:06 AM.

jasonpeinko

jasonpeinko

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
so what is the cable called

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
your cable
midi doesn't do you any good because your not working with midi. the mixer doesn't support any other connections beside 1/4" out or rca (tape out). the standard mic/aux inputs on any sound card our 1/8 stereo connections.

actually I learned that audacity has support for windows, mac, and linux.

jasonpeinko

jasonpeinko

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
so what color does it plug into?

jasonpeinko

jasonpeinko

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
i feel stupid!