Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

external HDD

• Please log in to reply

jimfu2

jimfu2

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hi I have recently purchased an external mass storage device and want to know if I can format it through a USB port. I want to use it with a lap top and do not have access to a desk top computer. Is it possible?

Edited by jimfu2, 03 October 2005 - 12:24 AM.

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
According to manufacturers of such, it can be done. My own were touted by the manufacturers as "plug and play". My personal experience having put together 4 such devices, was it was easier for me to install the hd in my Compaq desktop, format the drive, then put it back in the enclosure. If you don't have access to a desktop, try this:

I did a google search and found this http://www.hebig.com...es/001911.shtml (I searched for "formatting usb external hard drive). Take a look and see if it helps.

Edited by austin_o, 04 October 2005 - 06:56 AM.

jimfu2

jimfu2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hi Austin,
Thanks for taking the time out to help mate. I'll give it a go the way it was described on that website. Once again mate thanks.
Jim