Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems downloading IE 6 SP1

• Please log in to reply

lisas

lisas

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am trying to update one of our laptops with Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1, but I keep getting problems. When I choose my connection type and click to download directly from the Microsoft Download Center, a pop-up window appears saying "Cannot find server". The original page shows "Done, but with errors on page" along the bottom bar. When I double click on the bar, it shows the error is due to an invalid character. I have disabled Norton Anti-Virus, but the same problem occurs. Also, Microsoft says a Pentium processor is recommended, but I think my Celeron one should be fine. Any ideas on how to fix this? FYI, some system basics:

Compaq Armada 100
Windows 98, Second Edition
Celeron processor -- I think it's about 850 MHz
IE 5.0
56 MB RAM

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
You may find it easier to get it here

http://www.microsoft...&DisplayLang=en

If that link doesn't work use another machine to download the installer to a floppy and run it on the machine in question. Very handy to keep that floppy around if you do regular reinstalls.