Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Just bought a new processor

• Please log in to reply

racinmason001

racinmason001

• PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
-OK- I just bought a pentium 4 2.0ghz socket 478 processor and I would like if someone could give me a little walk trough on removing the old celeron and installing the new P4.I have an eMachines Trigem Imperial-GV Motherboard I've reasearched and it is compatible.

Advertisements

SJSCHOO

SJSCHOO

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
What is your Emachines model? ex. Emachine M781, Emachine E33

racinmason001

racinmason001

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
I have eMachines model #T2792.I also downloaded the motherboard owners manual and in the processor installation chapter it says nothing about thermal grease why is it important?If the owners manual says nothing about it why do I need it?

Edited by racinmason001, 04 October 2005 - 01:11 AM.

Thef0rce

Thef0rce

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
wikipedia:

"Thermal grease's primary purpose in computing is to substitute for the constructional imperfections of a heatsink's surface. When applied in appropriate quantities, it fills the tiny pits and grooves thereby increasing the amount of surface-to-surface contact with the CPU"

it'll also be good to clean off the old thermal grease if any of it has gotten stuck under the heatsink. too much thermal grease is bad too so apply moderately.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
You have to use thermal grease no matter what man. It will get too hot and can burn up your cpu.

heartofalion28

heartofalion28

• PipPip
  • 95 posts
cpu+thermal grease paste or pad+heatsink= :)

cpu+heatsink and no thermal grease=BOOOOM!!!!!!!= :tazz: