Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Shuts off frequently

• Please log in to reply

pvc4twenty

pvc4twenty

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I just built this computer from new parts that I purchased through New Egg. The computer will sometimes run for hours without fail and then boom...it shuts off and immediately restarts. I have done the following: Replaced the power supply and power cord, ran diagnostic tests that apparently didn't find any problems with the hardware and added another fan to ensure that the case wasn't getting to hot (it stays around 90 degrees F). Please help me. This problem is driving me nuts.

AMD 64 3500 Venice
Asus A8V Deluxe
1 GB Corsair
Lite On DVD/RW
200 GB WDigital
80 GB WDigital
XFX GeForce 5500e

Edited by pvc4twenty, 03 October 2005 - 05:46 PM.

Advertisements

SJSCHOO

SJSCHOO

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
Where is the PC placed, i.e. inside of a cabinet?

Ensure that the cpu fan is in the cpu fan plug as a opposed to the sp fan, or even orient the cpu fan 180 degrees opposite the direction it's in

Good Luck :tazz:

pvc4twenty

pvc4twenty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
The computer is on a desk and the cpu fan is plugged in the correct spot.

SJSCHOO

SJSCHOO

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
try temporarily replacing the memory

pvc4twenty

pvc4twenty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I did. Swapped it out and it still continues to shut down.

SJSCHOO

SJSCHOO

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
have you installed the updated drivers or the ones off the disk?

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

what power supply is it you are using list name brand and model

pvc4twenty

pvc4twenty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I updated all drivers except for the mobo bios...not exactly sure how to do so....My power supply is a Turbolink 450w...model: LC-A350ATX

pvc4twenty

pvc4twenty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Ok. Did some reading. Updated the mobo bios. Still cuts off ....any suggestions?

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
It may also help to turn on BSODs in your computer properties. That way you can have some idea as to what's causing Windows to die, if it isn't a hardware issue.

This can be donw by right clicking "my computer"->properties->Advanced->Startup and Recovery Settings
Uncheck the "Automatically restart checkbox.

If you get the BSOD, post the error and DLL that is causing it.

You should also check event viewer in the control panel under administrative tools then click on any red error and report it back here.

I canot find any specs on your power supply, I know that brand typically comes with cases, check the decal on the psu if the amps on the +12v don't add up to 24A I would replace it with a name brand because anything lower simply won't run your amd cpu especially with a high powerd video card.

Rick

pvc4twenty

pvc4twenty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
stop: 0x0000008E (0x00000005, 0x80576B43, 0xBA2FF770, 0x00000000

Going to check event viewer now.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Unfortunatly that error can be a lot of different things software or hardware

Was there any dll listed with the message?

Do you have all the MS critical updates including SP2 ?

SJSCHOO

SJSCHOO

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
if all else fails u could ask new egg for a replacement mother boards, mistakes happen

Faithless Lover

Faithless Lover

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I'm having similar shutdown problem. Also use AMD processor. I suspect an intermittent failure on one bit in cache memory (because [1] some Adobe programs put up a message saying "Unable to read ..." and point to a (changing) address in high memory, and [2] a Microsoft RAM memory test program runs through all its tests without fail except for one and that test fails only when testing cache memory is chosen. This behavior of the MS memory test program is consistent for alternative 512 MB memory cards.). Another program that frequently crashes my system is OmniPage, which I believe uses lots cache memory. I have tried without success to get help from AMD about how to determine whether the cache memory failure is on the CPU or external to it. If anybody knows how the user can identify where the faulty bit is, please post instructions. And ... how likely is it that heat is causing this intermittent problem? Thanks.