Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Add/Remove Not Working Properly

• Please log in to reply

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
Hi all, I've just discovered a problem - my Add/Remove function in Control Panel won't work properly.

I uninstalled Macromedia 8 Professional the other day from the list, it went away according to the list. When I returned to the desktop I saw the shortcut so I thought it must've been the uninstallation not removing the shortcut. But when I went to click on it it started up the application! I quickly checked my Program Files directory and yep, the folder was still there. I had to manually delete the folder then scanned the system with Registry Mechanic to remove other left-overs.

Today I just removed a program called "Look 'n' Stop", a firewall. And the same thing happened - the program is gone according to the Add/Remove list but it's still in the system.

Could someone please help? :|

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
This isn't too uncommon with third party software. If you placed the shortcut in Desktop yourself then you will probably have to remove it yourself. And sometimes all the files aren't removed during the uninstall since the uninstaller is in the folder and the folder can't be deleted if any of the files are being used at that time. A sort of catch 22 situation.

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
So... okay it's not too uncommon. Could someone plz tell me when this happens, what is the best way to get things cleaned out of the system.

I mean, I need to delete the program folder under Program Files, anything else I need to clean up? Cheers

itsjustme99

itsjustme99

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
im having the same problem...and i dont know why uninstalled programs still appear in the Add/Remove function

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
Hi buddy from upstairs, I think my problem is slightly different from yours. My problem is "entry deleted from Add/Remove list but the program still exists" and yours is "program uninstalled but name still exists in Add/Remove list".

I have learned the way to solve your problem before, it's through the registry:

1. Start Registry Editor (Regedit.exe).
2. Locate the following key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall
3. Locate the key to be deleted by locating the key name created by the program. If the name of the key is not apparent, browse through each key and note the value for DisplayName. This is the viewable string in the Add/Remove Programs tool.
4. Using the Registry menu, export the selected registry key to make a backup. Store the .reg file in a safe location in case you need to import it at a later date.
5. Delete the selected registry key and its values. Do not delete the entire Uninstall key.
6. Quit Registry Editor.
7. Verify that the reference in the Add/Remove Programs tool is no longer visible.

Viola!
Cheers

I still need answer to my question though... :tazz: