Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless Network help please

• Please log in to reply

cyberdyne

cyberdyne

• PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
:tazz:
Hi all,
I have a 2mbit ADSL connection on my PC. I have bought a wireless ready laptop with an Intel WLan Pro 2200 card which I believe is capable of 54mb/sec transfer rates.
I have a Netgear DG834GT Router/Modem on its way and am wondering whether or not to also buy a Netgear WG111T USB Adapter to enable a 108mb/sec transfer rate.
Is this worth the extra cost or is a transfer rate of 54mb/sec ample for general internet use and printer sharing?
Any other advice regarding this welcome as this is the first time ive setup a wireless network.
Thank you.

Advertisements

JAP1000

JAP1000

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello
Generaly a 54mbps is fast enough for internet sharing and printing, but if you wanted to transferr large amounts of data then a faster connection would be better.

Hope this helps.

cyberdyne

cyberdyne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
Thanks.
Also, do you know if there would be any compatibility issues with having a WLAN card installed in a laptop - not being used - but instead using a USB Wireless adapter on the same machine?
Thank you.

JAP1000

JAP1000

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi, there shounldnt be, but its best to disable the wireless network card on the laptop if your going to use the USB device.

cyberdyne

cyberdyne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
Cool, thanks for your help JAP1000