Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help with a few linux basics

• Please log in to reply

Novaprospekt

Novaprospekt

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
Hey, I'm sure you guys get a lot of people like me who are complete noobs with linux or people asking for help... so I apologize for the monotony.

I recently downloaded the latest version of SuSe via the stickied link at the top of this forum. I installed it to my storage harddrive which actually had just been cleaned so didn't need to format.

Anyway, it was my first ever linux install and that pretty much went well and I'm actually writing this from the Konqueror browser heh. But, have no idea what UNIX is, or how to use it. I have -some- experience using shell commands but that's from window's cmd function and it's mainly changing directories, and copying files. Not executing them or modifying permissions, etc.

So far, though, the main problems I seem to be having are the following:

1. I don't know how to install programs... I've sorta figured out .tar.gz but not .run
2. For some reason, my sound isn't working at all, though I believe my sound card was detected.
3. My mouse's forward and back thumb buttons aren't working in Firefox or Konqueror (Logitech mx518)

----
The first program I attempted to install was AIM. I clicked on the download link for SuSe and it gave me an .rpm file which opened with real player :tazz: which I don't think it was supposed to. I opened up the shell and tried messing around with exec and other 'run' functions but had no luck. I then downloaded the .tar.gz version of AIM and that had an instruction on what to type in the console though I had to log out and log in as root to execute the command. That installed okay, and I managed to get that working but I can't close the console once I start AIM because it will shut AIM off too... intended?

My next problem, however, is trying to install drivers for my graphics card (Radeon x800 XT PE) and trying to fix my soundcard (Creative Audigy 2 ZS Gamer) and mouse button issues. Turns out creative doesn't even have linux drivers, though the ALSA(sp?) package that came with SuSe is supposed to support my card. And there are no 3D drivers for my card (fglrx i believe is the name or something OpenGL related). Back on topic, these drivers and other programs seem to come in formats with the .run extension. I cannot seem to get these to install. They download, but then open with a word processor and I see a bunch of binary/commands inside of it. I saved to disk one time and tried using the exec command in the shell but that failed and I don't believe the SuSe help guide includes a UNIX guide :)

Is there anything you guys could do to help me out?

Thanks

Advertisements

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts
If you are using SUSE you should try to install as many programs with YaST as you can. It makes life a lot easier.

tarballs are basically installed by doing:
./configure
make
make install

run or sh file can be installed by typing in "sh <filename.run or .sh>

Koquerer is squirrley with the scroll button. I have found it better to install FireFox and you shouldn't have any issues, as long as your mouse was detected and you choose the proper mouse configuration.

If you look in the updates portion you might see drivers available to enable your 3D functions (I KNOW there is a update for nvidia because I have done that). So check online updates first, then if not, check out a SUSE forums and see what others have done for Radeon cards.

Novaprospekt

Novaprospekt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
yeah thanks, that helped a bit but i think i screwed something else up in the process.

i was logging out of my normal user session (an installation guide said to only have root running) and the next thing i know, i'm stuck at just a linux console prompting a login/pass.

I give it root/pw and then it says have a lot of fun and just sits there with <linux~>

I can't get back into the actual desktop at all. I used the reboot command to try and reselect and nope, just gives me a console now. I tried to repair the installation in YaST (using the CD) but that didn't fix anything.

Is there a command in the console to reload the desktop or something I'm missing?

Thanks

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts
Your /etc/inittab file needs to be edited to change the runlevel.

vi /etc/inittab

scroll down to where you see the current runlevel (which is probably 3) and change it to 5 (you will have to hit insert twice to change the editing mode of vi and then hit "escape" once changed)

then type in :wq! (this will write it, then save and then quit)

then reboot and you should get your GUI to come back up.

Twism

Twism

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hey there,

The easiest way to get into your GUI from a console login screen is to log in with any user, be that your own or root, although your own is ofcourse recommended.

Then simply execute the command : startx

This will start your X-server which should bring you into kdm and your desktop.

If you find you are having problems, as mentioned earlier, with your inittab you may want to have a look at this.

http://www.novell.co...ture/11550.html

=)

Novaprospekt

Novaprospekt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Heh, I wish I saw this sooner. I spent about 30 minutes rebooting and trying the vi /etc/initab solution and I couldn't find my away around whatever file I was editing and I was pressing buttons and generally screwing stuff up. Since I hadn't really done anything important but download a few driver packs I just reformated the linux hard drive and reinstalled...

Just finished up now and am up and running again.

But thanks for the help though, I wrote all this stuff down incase it happens to me again.

Going to try and get my drivers and things sorted out now that I know how to install them and I'll keep you guys posted on my progress.

Thank you for your help so far.

Twism

Twism

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hehe, patience is a virtue, especially when dealing with linux systems. However, the feeling you get when you accomplish something is quite something =)

I wish you luck in your continued journey through the wonder that is linux and should you require any more help, all you have to is ask.

Novaprospekt

Novaprospekt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Ok, I got my sound working (yes!!), I believe it had to do with YaST trying to use my mobo's onboard sound as the default when that is turned off in the BIOS and not knowing to use my soundcard only, so deleting the entry for the mobo sound in YaST seems to have solved the problem.

I can't, however, fix my graphic issue. I need 3D acceleration for an ATI graphics card (x800 XT). I've tried downloading the linux drivers from ATI's site but either they've installed and not done anything, i've not installed them right or im just missing something.

glxgears gives me an average of 300 fps which should be faster imo seeing as some people get 2000.

Also, desktop configuration only gives me one refresh rate option for 1600x1200 which is 85Hz. My monitor doesn't like that and needs to be at 75 so things align correctly. I went into YaST and clicked graphics and monitor and then it says missing fglrx component, install now? (or cancel). I click install, it gathers details, and just stops -- nothing more happens. Clicking it again yields the same result, as does rebooting. Cancel just cancels the request.

Any ideas?

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts
You need to run SaX2 and if your monitor is not recognized you need to set the refresh rates yourself as well as the hysnc and vsync settings.

Oh, and the reason I mentioned using vi is because if you are going to use a Linux system you NEED to be able to move around on the CLI. vi is as basic as it comes to a CLI editor.

If you have a Linux system I suggest you start getting used to CLI commands.

Edited by thenotch, 05 October 2005 - 10:38 AM.

brianmil0923

brianmil0923

• PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
Once you get these issues sorted out. Go ahead and read through the Documentation. This will help you deal with future problems and start your learning journey through the wonderful world of linux........