Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB

• Please log in to reply

halfms

halfms

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Im having a problem with my front USB ports. Ive had this computer for 3 years and have been able to use all four of the USB ports simultaneously in the past. A few months ago my computer had to be taken in and a new hard drive, powerswitch, graphics card, and motherboard had to be put in. My system was reset and the two USB ports in the rear of the computer work just fine my printer and my wireless g-usb wireless internet adapter work just fine but the two in the front/side wont work. Ive tried numerous digital cameras and jumpdrives in this location but it still doesnt work. These devices work fine in the rear of the computer. Im not sure where to go from here.

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Well it sounds like the motherboard replacement either didn't have a connector for front usb or the guy who replaced it didn't hook them up or hooked them up wrong. Did you get a manual for the new motherboard ? If so you could look in there to see if that board has an extra usb connector.... ( each connector is usually 2 ports by the way )

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

Well it sounds like the motherboard replacement either didn't have a connector for front usb or the guy who replaced it didn't hook them up or hooked them up wrong.

Either that or the power supply isn't feeding enough power to the non onboard USBs.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
I agree with shard92, chances are the front ports haven't been (or can't be) reconnected. This is the first thing to check anyway.
If they do appear to have been hooked up correctly, then check in the bios to see if they are enabled.

nixx

nixx

• PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
my mb has three usb pin sets, the manuel has a wire map, so i have my front two connected and one back...depends on how many your mb has.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Topic: Front USB PORTS
Date: 5th Oct-2005

Download the Free Home Edition of [EVEREST] so we can analyze your PC -
http://www.lavalys.c...p?pid=1&lang=en

Download & Run [EVEREST] & do the following steps to obtain 3 [REPORTS]

Report-1:

1 – Expand [COMPUTER] Folder
2 – Click on [SUMMARY] Folder
3 – On Main Menu – Click on [REPORT] >On pop down menu – Highlight [Quick Report-Summary] >Click on [HTML]
4 – Save to File as [Halfms-CPU-1] & attach to POST

Report –2:

1 – Expand [MOTHERBOARD] Folder
2 – Click on [MOTHERBOARD] Folder
3 – Click [REPORT] >[Quick Report-Motherboard] > [HTML]
4 – Save to File as [Halfms-Mobo-1] & attach to POST

Report –3 :

1 – Expand [DEVICES] Folder
2 – Click on [DEVICES] Folder
3 – Click [REPORT]>[Quick Report-Devices]> [HTML]
4 – Save as File [Halfms-Devices-1] & attach to Post

[EVEREST] will assist you in evaluating your USB CHIPSET – Also will show USB Capacity of motherboard

More info –
1- How old is PC
2- This is an UPGRADE from WIN 98
3 – How many USB Devices do you have – List them

Attach the 3 Reports + answers to the above 3 questions to your reply Post –
Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 05 October 2005 - 07:47 PM.