Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Explorer HotKey not working?

• Please log in to reply

duke4e

duke4e

• Pip
  • 4 posts
hey

i don't know what could be the reason for this!
all other hotkeys work, but when i press win+e nothing happens.

i don't have any programs installed wich could interfere with that hotkey.
i don't have any viruses/spywares, etc...
my computer is very clean and i have minimum installed software and everything is working as is should, except this [bleep] hotkey!

HELP!

Advertisements

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Hi duke4e,
Follow the instruction below:
Start -> Run.
Type: regedit.
Press <enter>.

Goto: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\ Keyboard Layout.
In the right-pane see if you can find a variable named Scancode Map.
If you do find it, delete the variable and reboot your PC.
If you don't find it, post back.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Do the other Winkey shortcuts work? When you press it alone, does it act like clicking on your Start button? You may need drivers for your keyboard. Did it ever work in the past, or are you not sure? What kind of keyboard is it?

Johanna

duke4e

duke4e

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Hi duke4e,
Follow the instruction below:
Start -> Run.
Type: regedit.
Press <enter>.

Goto: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\ Keyboard Layout.
In the right-pane see if you can find a variable named Scancode Map.
If you do find it, delete the variable and reboot your PC.
If you don't find it, post back.

View Post

Keyboard layout is empty
I've only got 2 subfolders (DosKeybCodes, DosKeyIDs), but they also don't contain this variable.

Do the other Winkey shortcuts work?  When you press it alone, does it act like clicking on your Start button?  You may need drivers for your keyboard.  Did it ever work in the past, or are you not sure?  What kind of keyboard is it?

Johanna

View Post

Both win keys work fine. Also letter E on my keyboard is working perfectly.
This shortcut worked always. Probably some software screwed something with my registry, but i'm not 100% shure when WIN+E stopped working, so i'm not shure wich software could screwd it.

I find myself pretty advanced PC user (working on PCs for almost 14 years) and since i've first installed windows (around 8 years ago) this never happend

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
From my notes, this is from a post I made about 2 years ago on another board:
Well, I finally got my WinKey back... I was in MS PowerToys TweakUI for XP and I clicked on "Explorer" and a list of options were presented, some checked, some not. "Enable Windows+X Hotkey was ticked, so I unticked it, clicked apply, and ticked it again, and clicked apply. The WinKey now functions perfectly again.

Interesting to note, WK+L (lock) and WK+U (Utility Mgr) were not affected at any time. NONE of the other WinKey combos worked. TweakUI has been on the system since the last reformat, and I'm sure I went through every setting at the time, and the box WAS ticked. I don't pretend to understand things like this, I attribute them to "luck" and "fluke". Anyway, if someone has a similar problem, I hope this helps.

Johanna

duke4e

duke4e

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
hey, thanks for tip, but it didn't work :tazz:
tweakup didn't disable my hotkeys immidatetly, i needed to restart my pc.
as i suspected, none of hotkeys worked then...
aster enabling the hotkeys again, and another restart, all hotkeys (except Win+E) worked again.

i really use this hotkey alot, so please help me!