Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HD installation problem

• Please log in to reply

prncess20

prncess20

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
okay.so i got to BIOS, but it ended up that i didn't need it. The HD came with a CD that i need to boot from. Also, it is a second drive, so i used the gray cable and put it as slave and CS. Anyway, i did everything it aske dme, but now when i click on my computer i have the following:
31/2 floppy (A)
hard Drive ©
Cd drive (D)
CD-RW Drive (E)
Local disk (F)----> that is the new HD installed

For my new HD that i installed (F next to type it says local disk but there is nothing listed about its size or free space. It is a 160 GB HD.

Anyway, i thought it would be alright so i went to test it in word.

I wrote something and saved it in F. except i get the following error messages:
Partition F: on your computer does not have a recognizable file system

'F:\' is not recognizable. The disk media is not recognizable. It may not be formatted.

Please help.

here is the info about the HD and my computer:

HD:
Maxtor Ultra series 160 GB HD
7200 RPM
Ultra ATA/133
8 MB Cache

Computer:
Pentium 3
Model number: 5104US
Windows xp with SP 2

Oh and this is an additional HD. I want everything moved from my C drive to the F drive....when i did this via the CD, it says there was an error and i should run defrag or scan disk...i did but there was another error that said i am going to loose all the info on the F drive, so i hit cancel. I wasn't sure what would happen if i hit ok. The info that is transsfered into the F drive will be deleted but is the info on C drive that has been already transferred to the F drive be deleted as well?

Anyway... like i said...i need help....

Advertisements

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
Hi
Welcome to GTG
When you get a new hard drive you need to fdisk it and format it. Have you done this? if your running windows Xp in an NTFS format it will need to be format in that format before you can move your old harddrive data to the new one.
:tazz:

prncess20

prncess20

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Hi
Welcome to GTG
    When you get a new hard drive you need to fdisk it and format it. Have you done this? if your running windows Xp in an NTFS format it will need to be format in that format before you can move your old harddrive data to the new one.
:tazz:

View Post

OOHHHH. So dow do i fdisk it and format it? and yes i do have windows xp.

DHooper

DHooper

• PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
To format the HardDrive:

1) Click Start -> Run
2) Type cmd
3) Type format f: /FS:NTFS

Hope that this helps.

prncess20

prncess20

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

To format the HardDrive:

1) Click Start -> Run
2) Type cmd
3) Type format f: /FS:NTFS

Hope that this helps.

View Post

OOHHH thanks!!!
Okay i did that yesterday and everything was fine. so i decided to move all my files form my old drive ot my new one, except it was taking too long so i canceled. but now, when i try to save something on my new hd i get the same errors as if i never formatted it before.

weird. im formatting it again. i think i should just let the copying process run until its done.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts

im formatting it again. i think i should just let the copying process run until its done.

Yes. :tazz:

prncess20

prncess20

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Yes. :tazz:

View Post

i reformatte dit and the the thing run its ciorse in regards to transferring files from Hd to Hd but i got the error message agin...im sick of this...i used the software the HD came with to transfer files...is there another way?