WinFixer 2005 pop-ups [RESOLVED]
Posted 07 October 2005 - 07:01 PM
Posted 07 October 2005 - 07:47 PM
Posted 08 October 2005 - 08:17 AM
Posted 08 October 2005 - 09:25 AM
There are a few things you must do once you are completely clean:
1. Re-hide your System Files and Folders to prevent any future accidents.
Reconfigure Windows XP to hide hidden files:
- Click Start. Open My Computer.
- Select the Tools menu and click Folder Options. Select the View Tab.
- Under the Hidden files and folders heading deselect "Show hidden files and folders".
- Check the "Hide protected operating system files (recommended)" option.
- Click Yes to confirm. Click OK.
TO DISABLE SYSTEM RESTORE
- Right-click "My Computer", and then left click "Properties".
- Left click on "System Restore Tab"
- Check box beside "Turn Off System Restore"
- Left click on "Apply"
- Remove check mark from "Turn Off System Restore"
- Click on "Apply"
Make sure you keep your Windows OS current by visiting Windows update
regularly to download and install any critical updates and service packs. With out these you are leaving the backdoor open.
I strongly recommend installing the following applications:
- Spywareblaster <= SpywareBlaster will prevent spyware from being installed.
- Spywareguard <= SpywareGuard offers realtime protection from spyware installation attempts.
- How to use Ad-Aware to remove Spyware <= If you suspect that you have spyware installed on your computer, here are instructions on how to download, install and then use Ad-Aware.
- How to use Spybot to remove Spyware <= If you suspect that you have spyware installed on your computer, here are instructions on how to download, install and then use Spybot. Similar to Ad-Aware, I strongly recommend both to catch most spyware.
- Spyad <= IE/Spyad places over 4000 websites and domains in the IE Restricted list which will severely impair attempts to infect your system. It basically prevents any downloads (Cookies etc) from the sites listed, although you will still be able to connect to the sites.
- MVPS Hosts file <= The MVPS Hosts file replaces your current HOSTS file with one containing well know ad sites etc. Basically, this prevents your coputer from connecting to those sites by redirecting them to 127.0.0.1 which is your local computer
- Google Toolbar <= Get the free google toolbar to help stop pop up windows.
So how did I get infected in the first place? (My Favorite)
Posted 08 October 2005 - 11:21 AM
Posted 08 October 2005 - 11:27 AM
If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.
Everyone else please begin a New Topic.
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users