Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Memory Incompatibility

• Please log in to reply

olace88

olace88

• PipPip
  • 97 posts
Hello:

I need help. I tried increasing my memory from 128MB to 256 MB wishing to increase processing speed on my HP Intel celeron Windows XP system. I bought generic SDRAMs and tried to install it but the system won't boot up. I borrowed a memory which came from an HP PC and it worked. I'm wondering why generic SDRAMS don't work on my HP PC.

Appreciate any suggestions.

Olace88

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
What type of SDRAM is the HP RAM and what type is the 'generic' ram that you purchased? Most likely the HP ram is PC100 and the 'generic' ram is pc133 which your computer can't recognize. Most computers would 'slow down' the pc133 ram so that it runs at pc100 speed, but HP's are known to be very picky about the ram they are able to run with.

Fenor

olace88

olace88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
Hello Fenor,

Thank you for replying to my query. Anyway, the HP RAM and generic RAM are both PC133.

olace88