Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Connecting two computers using cross over cables

• Please log in to reply

A Train

A Train

• PipPip
  • 70 posts
I have one computer using windows XP and one computer using Windows ME. I have a Ethernet crossover cable connecting them. The computer using windows ME did not have an Ethernet port, so I installed a 10/100Mbs Fast Ethernet PCI card and installed it using the disk provided. The device manager recognizes this card as a modem and calls it a 'PCI Modem Enumerator'. I want to set a connection so that I can play games between the two computers.

Could you please if Posible give a full description of how to complete this process.

<-- I have doubts whether the PCI disk installed properly and maybe the driver is wrong.

Edited by A Train, 04 October 2005 - 10:55 PM.

Advertisements

samir7399

samir7399

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I think the clue lies in the way Device Manager says PCI Modem Enumerator. This is not how it should report a Network Card. Usually it comes under Network Adapters.

Verify that the label on top of the driver disk mentions the same model number as on the card. Also verify that the driver disk or the readme file inside it mentions Windows ME as one of the Operating Systems supported.

Assuming yes for the above two try uninstalling the driver (if possible) then power down the machine. Un-seat and re-insert the card in a different PCI slot (if available) and try re-installing the driver from the disk.

If this doesnt solve the problem you may try exchanging the card for a different brand or get in touch with your PC Support team.

A Train

A Train

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
Well on the XP computer it comes up in Network Adapters, but still in the ME it comes up in Device manager, under the modems. And it wants a modem driver when it shouldn't. The Label on the card is 'Realtek RTL8139D' and I have searched for the drivers at the cards Homepage, but still after downloading them nothing happens. I have tried moving the card, but still nothing.

Basicly what I think is happening is that windows is searching for modem drivers for the card. I need it to search for drivers to do with that card, not the modem. So is there a way to change what it is under?

Edited by A Train, 05 October 2005 - 02:03 AM.

Kurt_Aust

Kurt_Aust

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Try removing the "item" from device manager and using the auto-install program from Realtek

A Train

A Train

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
As asked for

Attached Thumbnails

• 1.jpg
  • 2.jpg
  • 3.jpg

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Expand Network Adaptors on the ME machine. You should find the card under there.

What you've got screengrabs of are for your modem.

As for the original question - seriously, just plug them in, Ethernet to Ethernet. That's all.