Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Psu gone

• Please log in to reply

Hello_Moto

Hello_Moto

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Thanks for this mate, I'm planning on trying everything out later tonight or first thing tomorrow morning.

How can you remember all this stuff anyway !

Advertisements

Kurt_Aust

Kurt_Aust

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
When I built my new system back in Febuary it kept freezing, even in BIOS. I thought it was the motherboard, but you know how it is, when I took it back to the shop it worked just fine. When I got home if froze up again, by this stage I changed just about everything with parts from my old computer trying to track down the fault.

Then it clicked, I got out the multimeter and found I was getting line power of 225v rather than a nominal 240v (the shop was getting 237v), time to invest in a top end PSU.

When you have problems like that, you don't forget easily !!

Hello_Moto

Hello_Moto

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Thanks for your help with this, but everything I try to do, it still doesn't work ! Looks like the motherboard is gone. :tazz:

Kurt_Aust

Kurt_Aust

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
I'd suggest you take the motherboard into the shop you bought the PSU from. If they're halfway decent they'll quickly check it for you, it's only a five minute job.

freespace2pilot

freespace2pilot

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Hi,

On this same topic again - what's the chances of the PSU having fried the motherboard too ??

Cheers

View Post

when my psu went, it fried my motherboard, and most everything else, to a molten plastic slag heap.