Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SATA Drive Installation Problem (Seagate)

• Please log in to reply

DeSade

DeSade

• PipPipPip
  • 377 posts
I want to install a Seagate 200gb drive as the only harddrive in a system however I have a problem with it.

Bios sees the drive and it comes up in the startup procedure, but when I try to install windows xp it tells me there are no harddrives present.

I downloaded the seagate software and as per its instructions left the computer boot up the floppy but it won't continue and seems to get stuck after its installed its virtual c drive, and never asks for the 2nd floppy as it is suposed too.

I have see the posts on here and seen the option on my xp setup to load drivers by pressing f6 etc but I am not sure that this is a driver disc or if its susposed to run by booting itself only.

What I need is a step by step of how to install this so I have a 200gb (pref with no partitions but will install partitions if I have too) as my C drive.

Advertisements

Kurt_Aust

Kurt_Aust

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
I'm afraid we'll require more information. What motherboard do you have, have you updated to the latest BIOS version and is your copy of XP at least SP1 for starters.

DeSade

DeSade

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts
Np
I was hoping I gave enough info but wasn't sure.

Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro2

I am not if its the latest version or not, how could I tell that?

If it helps when the bios sees the disc it is seeing almost its full capacity, around 199.??? gb

As for XP the disc includes SP1

Edited by DeSade, 05 October 2005 - 01:26 AM.

Kurt_Aust

Kurt_Aust

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
When you boot up your motherboard name should appear followed by Fxx, this is your BIOS version. You can go to http://www.gigabyte.com.tw and check if this is the latest version. Mind you this is unlikely to be the problem, but the website will note the things that were fixed between versions.

It might be worth having a poke around in the BIOS, I would suggest disabling any RAID functions, also make sure the disk shows up in the boot priority list (after the CD-ROM of course).

You might also try clearing the BIOS, turn the power off at the wall (leave plugged in) and AFTER earthing yourself (on any metal tap for example and lose things like polyester jumpers) remove the battery for about a minute (touching the case will ensure that you remain earthed) . You'll have to reset the clock and may want to alter a few other things (like booting from the CD first) after doing this.

Kurt_Aust

Kurt_Aust

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Another thought, make sure you are plugged into SATA_0 not SATA_1

DeSade

DeSade

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts
It detects as the first drive in the sata list so I assume this is sata 0

The boot order is this

floppy
cdrom
scsi
sata

(the scsi is there because without it I couldn't select the sata in the next position at all)

Will reboot and get the rest of the info.

Edit

Bios is fairly old, its F2 and the bios is up to F11 now. But SATA isn't mentioned in any of the fixes between F2 and F11, I am not comfortable flashing bios.

Edited by DeSade, 05 October 2005 - 02:50 AM.

Kurt_Aust

Kurt_Aust

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Your motherboard's SATA connectors will be labeled 0 and 1 (0=Master 1=Slave).

Granted, it shouldn't make a difference, but what do you have to lose by checking?

Bit weird that you have to put SCSI to get to SATA.

DeSade

DeSade

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts
I am trying to find the answer but it is not printed on the board (at least not big enough to see) and I can't find the manual

I am assuming your refering to the sata 0 and sata 1 thing

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
To setup XP on a SATA drive you have to use a SATA preinstall driver disk.

Boot up from the XP CD, within a minute or so the setup program will ask you to press F6 to install RAID or SCSI drivers, insert the SATA driver disk you got with the motherboard and press F6.

If you don't have the SATA drivers for the motherboard try downloading from the manufacturers website.

Kurt_Aust

Kurt_Aust

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Interesting, XP Pro SP1 set up on my SATA HDD without needing any special drivers.

Maybe they were able to fudge the BIOS so that XP would recognise it, or perhaps later motherboard designs can make it look like an IDE HDD?

Also noting the post of the god of memory, the drivers are there, as is the manual

Edited by Kurt_Aust, 05 October 2005 - 03:50 AM.

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
SATA driver for GA-7N400 Pro2 (Rev 2.x)

SATA driver for GA-7N400 Pro1 (Rev 1.x)

Also make sure that the SATA option is set to BASE instead of RAID.

To do this go into the bios and under integrated peripherals there is an option called 'Serial ATA function' simply change it to BASE.

DeSade

DeSade

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts
The drivers from the gigabyte with the changing of the RAID to BASE did the trick.

Thanks guys appreciate the help.

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
Glad you got it working, enjoy your new hard drive!