Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HELP: Internet Explorer causes PC reboot

• Please log in to reply

sjcuk

sjcuk

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Just recently re-installed Windows 98SE to clear a registery error that was continually bringing up an error box on start up.
In addition to this I have re-installed my Zone Alarms firewall/spyware & virus software.
Now following this whenever I use the IE browser (6.0) the PC reboots. Strangely this is not immediately and will allow a short time of web access, it also has no affect on the use of Outlook Express.

Incidentally Mozilla Firefox seems to also be affected, so my only guesses are perhaps a conflict issue has arisen or the over-installation (rather than clean install with a re-format) of the operating system has produced this bug!

Does anyone have any suggestions how I can go about restoring my internet access?

BTW I have up to date virus definitions and a scan reveals nothing untoward. :tazz:

Advertisements

EMCguy

EMCguy

• PipPipPip
  • 729 posts
Hi sjcuk , Welcome to Geekstogo

What service pack level/ revision level is browser ?

Best regards,

EMCguy

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
In safe mode:

Right click MY COMPUTER, choose PROPERTIES, choose ADVANCED, choose the SETTINGS button in the Startup And RECOVERY section, and uncheck AUTOMATICALLY RESTART

Now reboot. This will result in the BSOD error...report the STOP ERROR and any parameters.

start > run, type
eventvwr.msc
<enter>

Look under systems and applications for items with red Xs that happened at the SAME time as your problem...list them here.

sjcuk

sjcuk

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for the tips, I'll get on it tomorrow and report back over the weekend.
It's slowly driving me nuts at the moment! :tazz:

sjcuk

sjcuk

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Oops double post my bad

Edited by sjcuk, 07 October 2005 - 02:19 AM.