Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

start up

• Please log in to reply

goofygrmom

goofygrmom

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
My brain must be taking a nap. I can't remember how to delete items that I don't want to automatically start when I turn on my computer. Would someone please refresh my memory? Thanks, :tazz:

Advertisements

Alopeke

Alopeke

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
START > RUN - MSCONFIG > OK, click the STARTUP tab

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
If possible, stop unwanted programs from coming on at boot within the software itself (look in "preferences" or "options". Another way is Mike Lin's StartUpCPL. It puts a tab in the Control Panel for start up options.
http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

Johanna

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello goofygrmom...

When using the msconfig option, be very careful which programs you disable...some of the applications listed there are required by Windows to run correctly.

Try clicking Start and point to All Programs then to Startup. Right click on the program you wish to stop and choose "Delete".

wannabe1

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
2 ways:

1. Start, All Programs, Startup

2. Start, Run, type "msconfig" and press enter. Go to the startup tab.

Be careful what you remove from startup! You could prevent your computer from working properly. If you have any questions about startup entries, feel free to ask us. :tazz:

LOL, we all responded at the same time! :) :)

Edited by computerwiz12890, 05 October 2005 - 09:44 AM.

goofygrmom

goofygrmom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
thanks sooooooooo much
i've used the msconfig before
like i siad, the brain must have been napping :tazz:

JimB007

JimB007

• PipPip
  • 96 posts
I've been using StartupControlPanel for ages and it has the advantage that it warns you whenever a program or anything else for that matter wants to put itself among the startup items. At that moment you choose accept or no. Very effective. http://www.mlin.net. It's freeware on top of that

Posted Image

Edit: sorry I saw it was already mentioned in #3. Of course yoy should allow the program itself at startup. Then it monitors in the background. Remember there are programs that have no option to prevent running them at startup.

Edited by JimB007, 05 October 2005 - 12:37 PM.