Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

admin

• Please log in to reply

philstone

philstone

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
is it a good idea to have more than one user with admin rights on the same computer. Why or Why not?

Advertisements

mpfeif101

mpfeif101

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,411 posts
It's a good idea if you trust all the users, a bad idea if you don't.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
If you talk to any security expert, they would advise you to never run your system as an admin, unless required (i.e. installing programs). That's the way all corporate networks run.

Most serious malware infections (virus, trojan, spyware) need admin rights to install and gain access to your system. Also, with a limited account, if something does slip through, it's likely only to affect that account.

Best advice is to have one admin account, and use it sparingly. Of course, probably 90% of home users run as administrator all the time. :tazz:

mpfeif101

mpfeif101

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,411 posts
With me one as one of them :tazz: . I disagree a bit with the above statement. I am constantly installing programs and doing things that require administrator rights. I feel that if you know enough about computers to stay clean of infection (use some protection programs, like a Firewall, AV, and Spyware Blaster), then it will benefit you to have admin powers. Of course if you don't know enough about computers, you shouldn't have admin rights, but then again you probably don't even know what users or admin rights are so you are unknowingly using an admin account.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Guilty as charged. ;) I run as admin all the time too.

Do as I say, not as I do. :tazz:

philstone

philstone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
alright thanks

vlittlething

vlittlething

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Can you reply if you change password then it did not take it and i cant get in at all cause i am the adim and wont let me do anything