Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD/DVD ROMS Dissapeared

• Please log in to reply

toyma

toyma

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
OK, I'll try to be concise and clear: my CD/DVD Rom dissapeared. I had been burning some productions in Roxio Easy CD creator, when both drives dissapeared (c: and a: are still there).

I have rebooted a million times, ran a registry fixing utility, tried running the install CD (I changed my original internal burner for a newer one years ago), and nothing! It had been working fine until now, and I'm simply confused! I need to burn some presentations for clients, but there is no drives. Nothing in device manager either I was trying to uninstall them).

I ran all the spyware/malware/antivirus (ad-aware, spybot, pc cillin) programs, but nothing helps. Can anyone help???

I'm running Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600), hp pavillion, pentium 4

Thanks!!!

Advertisements

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
have you tried CDGONE?

toyma

toyma

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
Thanks for the suggestion.

I uninstalled the EMC, the I used the patch, and after rebooting the drives showed up!

I proceeded to re-install it again, and in the middle of it, it stopped the installation with an error code and now the drives are gone again.

:tazz: help!

Thanks!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
what was the error code?

toyma

toyma

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
Error 1316. A network error occured while attempting to read from the file E:\Roxio Easy Media Creator 7.msi

And after that................ drives dissapear.

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts

I uninstalled the EMC, the I used the patch, and after rebooting the drives showed up!

the drives showed up where?(my computer, device manager, Roxio, other)

I proceeded to re-install it again

reinstall the drivers?

Error 1316. A network error occured

when did this occur?

has Roxio been uninstalled/reinstalled recently?

was any new hardware/software installed prior to the disappearance?

can you think of any other change in the PC prior to the disappearance?

toyma

toyma

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
There have been no recent changes in the PC. It was working perffectly normal until a few days ago.

After reinstalling Easy media Creator on Thursday (which I took off completely trying to get it to work), I was able to see my drives in My Computer. They do show up in the BIOS and there is no conflict in Hardware Manager when they are visible. When they are not, Hardware Manager does not report them nor it reports any problems.

Right after I turned it on yesterday, I was able to burn 5 copies to CD's normally, and since then, the drives are missing. Sometimes they dissapear after I see them and try to work on them.

I am getting very desperate, as you can understand.....

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
at this point we can't tell if this is a hardware problem or something else(a bug that intermittently removes the drives). let's see where this takes us. please be patient and hang in there. this make take awhile due to the intermittency.

when the drives are gone and the PC is rebooted, are the drives found as 'new' hardware?

or do the drives show up sometimes after rebooting without reinstalling the drivers?

when Easy media Creator was uninstalled on Thurs, did the drives show up?

toyma

toyma

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
the drives show randomly, sometimes when I reboot, but more than likely when I turn it off and then back on, but not always.
In one of the reboots I updated the drivers, but it said they were up to date.
After I reinstalled Easy Media Creator they showed up for a while, then dissapeared in the middle of a burning session.
Then they reappeared yesterday morning, when I was able to burn 5 cd's before they were gone again, and haven't been back since.
I have been doing a lot of reading and apparently, it can be caused by the sw itself, someone even called it "Easy media cremator". Is it possible???
Thanks for the help!!

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts

I have been doing a lot of reading and apparently, it can be caused by the sw itself, someone even called it "Easy media cremator". Is it possible???

sure it's possible. let's see if it's causing your problem. one way to do this is to uninstall Easy Media Creator and install another. I'm impartial - Easy CD Creator has worked well here. I've seen a couple of recent GTG posts with positive reports on Nero. you might try Nero or another preference. you may not want more than one installed at a time, so uninstall Easy Media Creator first. reboot if it does not work right away.

Advertisements

toyma

toyma

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
I have got nero... I'll do what you suggest, but until later on or tomorrow, as I have to sumbit some things to a client.

I really look forward to solving this issue, as I really feel comfortable working with Video Wave, it has great transition effects which I use a lot!

Thanks again for the help, I'll do as you say and let you know!

toyma

toyma

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
I'm back... but with no success.

I uninstalled EMC, rebooted, cleaned the registry, and rebooted again. No luck. No drives. Then I turned it off. And the drives showed up.

I proceeded to install Pinnacle Studio DV from drive E: and it crashed in the middle of it. I checked my computer and the drive letters were gone. :tazz:

Now what do you think??

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
how soon after bootup do the drives disappear? is it typically minutes, hours, ...?

toyma

toyma

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

how soon after bootup do the drives disappear? is it typically minutes, hours, ...?

View Post

generally around 10 minutes

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
it sounds like they disappear when one drive is in use. true? is the same drive in use each time both drives disappear? if so, disconnect the cables from the suspect drive and see if the other drive still disappears. before removing the cables, uninstall the drive using Device Manager.

take ESD precautions - avoid touching any exposed circuitry on the motherboard
and other devices. please take a few minutes and read about ESD Basics.